Does wilderness allow oars? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-13-2010   #1

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Does wilderness allow oars?

As I understand it, the wilderness act bars the use of motorized or mechanized travel. With this understanding, I am assuming that one can not use oars since they are a mechanical advantage. Thoughts? (no worry either way, as I think we could still paddle it)

caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010   #2

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
never had a problem with it myself. wheels are the biggest no-no.
Old 04-13-2010   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
The Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness up in Northern Minnesota is the tightest wilderness I've ever been in about enforcing the Wilderness Act. You can paddle your kayak or canoe up there, but you can't use a dolly with wheels to portage it. Paddling is different than rowing though........Do oars constitute a violation? Dumn question on the surface, good question just below the surface.
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Mountain bikers talk about this a lot, and how oars or the springs in ski bindings help people travel legally in wilderness areas. Basically, it seems like machines simpler than a wheel/axle are ok.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #5
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Doesn't "mechanized" mean something with moving parts? I can see how ski bindings are mechanized, but an oar does not have moving parts in and of itself. Interesting question.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #6

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
...I was thinking of Brown's Canyon and the Grand (both have discussions about becoming wilderness areas). I could see it being problematic on the Grand due simply to the amount of gear that one is required to float it. It would be tough to run (although not impossible) in a paddle boat. It might be kind of cool and usher in a new style of multi-day river running. Does River Runners For Wilderness have a position on this issue? What if the park service decides that oars are indeed mechanized travel?
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #7

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
MF Salmon, Selway, Gunnison

All of those rivers travel thru existing wilderness areas. All three have commercial outfitters who run rafting trips with oar rigs. The trick to the GC would be that all of those motor rigs that go down the river would be banned if it became a wilderness area. It would be interesting to see how that would affect the numbers of people that travelled down the river. Without the option for shorter trips outfitters might find it hard to fill in those permits with clients that are able to spend a couple of weeks on the river. Maybe that would mean more private boater permits.

Dan
boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The Salmon is in a wilderness area and they use oars up there without a problem.

Got beat to it.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #9

Bayfield, Colorado
Mechanical advantage is applied every time you move your mouth (or leg for that matter). Or the pomp used to inflate the flotation in your boat. Big jump from that to a wheel.
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #10

Bayfield, Colorado
pump, sorry
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote