Does this happen often? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-19-2011   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Does this happen often?

So yesterday I was paddling Shoshone in the evening. Got some good runs in and then in maneater I got rolled in big daddy right into a sharp rock. I took a hit right above my right eye and it went down all the way to my skull. This hurt and it still hurts. My question is does a hit like this happen often? I know I need to work on my brace more, but should I be looking into maybe a different type of helmet?( I have a WRSI) Anything else to consider? I'm ready to get back on the water next week but would like some input. P.S.- Thanks to those who helped me out, I forgot most of your names.(Probably because my skull was showing.)

Thanks,
Casey

Shotgun Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011   #2

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Get a better helmet/fit your helmet better, tuck tight to your boat, roll quicker and practice your brace. Yes it happens but you can mitigate the danger. I've broken 2 helmets this year but no hits to the face because of tucking tight into my boat.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #3

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You have a WRSI? Simply get their full face attachment arm/bar that connects right in!!! $39 Done! Best dental plan you can buy and peace of mind. Most of the year mine is off until low water season. This will allow you to work on all your skills without fret in case you do get worked in shallow rapids. In today's world peace of mind is hard to find, sometimes false, but better than taking up couch surfing!
Mi dos centavos,
Coon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011   #4

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
The cut all the way to the skull is not uncommon and looks/bleeds much worse than it is.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #5

Summit County, Colorado
The tissues in your scalp, face etc are rich with capillaries!! This is why head lacs typically bleed like a sieve. At this stage I'd worry more about scaring and future prevention of said situation!
Old 08-19-2011   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Gannon, Summit thank you, however I would have died if I had not been so awesome at being a human being. The question was, as I say again, does this happen often? I mean am I going to keep my James Dean type looks? Or do I need to file my looks under Edward James Olmos? Summit, I am going to take a look at the full face attachment, I hope it works, thanks. Let me know when you folks are in town and I will show you the ropes, like what rocks to not hit with your face.
Shotgun Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Eddy View Post
The question was, as I say again, does this happen often?
More often to some of us than others.....try not to flip in the manky blast rock....save roll practice for the playhole. As Chepora said, if you have to roll, tuck tight and roll fast. I have a WRSI also, and have taken multiple shots to the helmet, but luckily none to the face....yet.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Try adjusting your chin straps so the ones coming off the front are straight down. Keeps the helmet over the forehead where it's supposed to be. Play with them at the buckles where the "v" are and you'll see what I'm talking about.