does anyone make a high tower oarmount? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-14-2004   #1
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
does anyone make a high tower oarmount?

I have a super puma with nrs 6in oarmounts. I am sitting on a cooler mounted 5 inches up from the frame with a seat on it. about 7inches up. right now i am rowing into my knees. what to do? I saw blackfoot mfg makes a set, but think they went out of business. Any help

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004   #2
tk2

If your frame is a breakdown, you can put a Holleander Slide Rail fitting on your outer bar, then use the standard Down River Equipment oarstands rather than the NRS ones. The DRE stands have adjustable height. You just have to get used to carrying around an allen wrench rather than your 1/2" socket.

Good luck!

tk
tk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #3

I had the same problem and had a set made at DRE. My towers are now about 10-1/2" tall. You use a 90 deg fitting and then whatever length pipe you want. I got my cut to 12 in and then just trimmed them to the height I found comfortable. They do suggest getting a spare for trips where you might get stuck if you bent one.

Khris
Khris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004   #4
tk2

Khris makes a good point to carry a spare DRE stand. I just bent one last month in Granite on the Grand. They're tough, but they will go.
tk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #5
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
what about

DRE rainbows. I am wondering if their 1.66 in outer? So I can mount them to my frame and then mount my NRS 6 in mounts to them. Yea a spare would also be good.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Just have the guys at DRE take a look at what you've got to work with from the start. They've got a fabrication shop and can do it. If you're near Salida, take the setup to Marshall Welding. He can fix you up as well as anyone can. AAA also has a frame shop.

-Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote