Does anyone know how the Upper C is Running? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-21-2008   #1
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Does anyone know how the Upper C is Running?

We are planning on gojng this weekend with children and we are wondering what it is like at this water level is it safe to bring kids on the river from Pumphouse down to Rancho del Rio?

pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008   #2
dq

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
We are planning on gojng this weekend with children and we are wondering what it is like at this water level is it safe to bring kids on the river from Pumphouse down to Rancho del Rio?
your safety depends on your boat handling abilities and experience!
dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Its big. There'll be big waves, I'm not sure what Needle's Eye will be like and there's a hole at Yarmony across 2/3 of the river that'll flip any size raft. I'd recommend caution even though this is a "flatwater" trip that folks typically dismiss out of hand. The lakes above Radium and Rancho are still standing water though....

COLORADO - KREMMLING, NR (KRMC2)

You may want to run something you can scout from the road, like Glenwood Canyon or the section above Dotsero.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008   #4

I've done most of the Upper C around 4-6G's and remember Pumhouse to Radium (Eye of the Needle) not being a big deal for a decent oarsman. Radium to Rancho has a couple waves and holes in Hoyt and Yarmony that have been known to cause issues for rafts. Depending on your confidence level (and age and comfort of the kids) this may or may not be a problem. Rancho to Statebridge is no problem.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #5

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Upper C

We were going to run the Fraser in duckies on Sunday. Due to lack of water we ran Upper C Pump to Radium. Some easy wave trains and just make sure to run neddles eye right (nice big channel). If you ran it right you would probably be pushed into the wall.

Yarmondy is easy as well run it left and you'll be good. You could probably walk the tracks and scout it. I do agre with everbody previous replies, a lot depends on the person behind the oars.
I think this is all the outfitters up here first real push so it could be a mad house. Put on early or later to avoid them all.
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I am planning on being up there this weekend with my son aboard, so I am a little concerned too. I would love to join up, but I am planning a Fri. launch to be ahead of the front range crush. I have not done Pumphouse since I was a newbe kayaker, way back in the early 90's. I do not remember anything difficult on it, but the water will be moving fast. I am hoping it will drop some before the weekend as colder weather is forcasted.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I am starting to rethink taking my son, the flow is up to 4500, it was at 3000 yesterday morning. Not that big of a deal, but this will be my first time rowing, so I might play it safe and leave my son home.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #8
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
I took my 7 yr old grandson last year at this level. No problems. In his opinion, the UpperC is no fun til at least 3k cfs. I was going to go Sun or Mon, but the forecast is for big winds. That's really bad news on this run.

"Don't wanna die asking for another chance!"
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #9

conifer, Colorado
I did this section last year when at 3800 and took three guys who had never rowed a boat before. I let all three row the whole thing with no problem-maybe the picked up a little quicker than the average but I wouldn't be concerned. Eye of the needle is under water several feet at this level and so is the hot spring-bummer! Just keep it straight and enjoy the wave trains. I have no idea what people are talking about when they mentions raft flipper at Yarmony. Did not even notice this on my trip down.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #10
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks for the advice people, this will help us make up our minds on Saturday
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote