Do you let strangers borrow your kayak? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-09-2012   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Do you let strangers borrow your kayak?

I've seen numerous 'let-me-borrow-your-kayak' requests on here...and while I have several, I'm more than reluctant to let a stranger 'borrow' a $1K piece of gear...but I'm not entirely undecided.

Do you loan out your babies? To strangers? What about damage? Do you just let someone drive off without any guarantee of return?

Again, just curious here. Not looking for hits, but answers as I see lots of these threads and they have me curious.

FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012   #2

georgetown, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFXR
I've seen numerous 'let-me-borrow-your-kayak' requests on here...and while I have several, I'm more than reluctant to let a stranger 'borrow' a $1K piece of gear...but I'm not entirely undecided.

Do you loan out your babies? To strangers? What about damage? Do you just let someone drive off without any guarantee of return?

Again, just curious here. Not looking for hits, but answers as I see lots of these threads and they have me curious.
I think this is a great idea for whitewater travelers ...especially international...
waterdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The friends I like to keep are people who I have deemed trustworthy, and if they were a boater, I'd probably let a friend borrow a boat. If I don't know the person, at the most it would be a situation in which I was on the water with them.
I will add though, that a conversation that I had on the Buzz last summer resulted in me borrowing a boat for a couple of days from a person with whom I had only shared a few private messages. I had just inquired about a particular kayak and she just offered I give it a try. Folks with this attitude are some of the best ambassadors for the sport and often remind me to try to be more trusting.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've lent boats to people known and unknown. with and without accompaniment.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #5

Kids are more important than kayaks and boats are not worth 1K once they leave the shop. I have lent several boats after a short conversation over responsibility and expectations and have never had a problem.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #6

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I've lent my boats to various friends over the years and have always been happy to do so....

I lent my LL CR250 to an acquaintance that was just getting into kayaking, seemed like a solid dude, I rarely paddled the boat anymore...and Pueblo is a fairly small town when it comes to the kayaking community. I never got my boat back....tried repeatedly to get the money from the kid (kept telling me he sent it)....moved to Idaho and I never heard another word. I asked my buddy Bob at the Edge to keep an eye out for him because (apparently) he's a big snow boarder too.

Sucks, I liked that boat...and was willing to sell it to him dirt cheap. Lesson learned.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Good Times,
Sorry to hear that. I have been lent a boat twice in NY when I have been there without a boat. Both times by complete strangers that I met on their version of the buzz. Both times I returned the boat with beverages and both times everyone happy. Once I paddled with the person, once without. I would lend a boat to a stranger.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I would.

Damn, Good Times. Sucks to hear that.
I would think your experience would be the exception. River karma is too important to screw up.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #9
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Try mine

I encourage people to try mine. It's a give back to gaining a paddling buddy and I've usally tweeked the outfitting or did something to make it perform better.
Old 12-10-2012   #10

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Yeah, it sucked...but to be honest...I don't think it has or would deter me from loaning my gear again...boat or otherwise.

The lesson learned would be to set the expectations better...I told him "you can use the boat for awhile and let me know if you want to buy it"....I contacted him a couple/few weeks later, he said he liked it and would get me the money. It never came and I tried a few more times before moving to Idaho...each time he said he sent it and it must have "gotten lost in the mail". I asked him to take the boat to The Edge where Bob could either sell it for me or keep it safe until I could pick it up. Never happened.

Oh well......
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote