Do not count on these gauges!!!! How can I help to correct these readings? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-06-2011   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Do not count on these gauges!!!! How can I help to correct these readings?

To all boaters... be sure to check your runs on the DWR site under "surface water conditions". For whatever reason several on the buzz (AW) are mis labled.

I was just surprised to hear that the Big sThompson is at 805 this morning and AW (hear on the buzz) is showing 350ish! This is not the only mis labled gauge. Best I can figure out, the 350 is for what is coming into the Estes Lake, and what we paddle is what is leaving the lake down to drake.

What can be done to get Buzz to report directly off the DWR site, which is really the only true accurate site? Eddy Flower is wrong on several I was told as well...

Bottom line, this is a genuine safety issue. Some aspiring class IV boater that goes and gets on Big sThompson at 800. thinking it's just barely coming in at 350, is going to have quite an epic series of shit pants or worse... And to the opposite, I would have not considered heading to Big tomson at 350 but it's one of the best runs in the state at 805.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011   #2

Flat-lander, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There are so many drainages and inlets being serviced (in and out), you can't be sure based on the gauges alone. It is why people use the "feet" gauge on the poudre.

You sound like a n00b. For the Big T, which is highly manipulated, I would never trust the gauges.
foamdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #3

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdweller View Post
There are so many drainages and inlets being serviced (in and out), you can't be sure based on the gauges alone. It is why people use the "feet" gauge on the poudre.

You sound like a n00b. For the Big T, which is highly manipulated, I would never trust the gauges.
I don't understand your objection to improving the system to make accurate gauge readings more accessible.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:

Yeah " the Craw" is such a Noob"
Old 06-06-2011   #5

You can trust the gauges for the Big T you just have to know which gauge is where. That is what thecraw is trying to say. The gauge below Lake Estes is accurate for flows above Drake. At Drake the North Fork Big T comes in so add that to the Lake Estes gauge and you have accurate flows for all the commonly run sections.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
Quote:

Actually, the Big T is a great place to trust the gauges - I believe it's right below Lake Estes, and there isn't much inflow between there and the run. The Poudre needs the foot gauge because there aren't gauges on the main stretch that people run.
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:

You just made yourself look like a "n00b". The reason the Poudre uses the "feet" gauge painted on the rock is because the only CFS gauge in the lower canyon is below a large diversion.

The online gauges are a great resource, you just need to know what water may be entering/exiting the river between the gauge and the section you are paddling.

Craw you are correct, that could spell disaster for a boater that didn't know what they were getting into. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
Old 06-06-2011   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
The gauges are often miscalibrated(sp?) as well. A better system would be nice including peeps posting here if you think there are problems. Oh, and Funkins is a total n00b.
Old 06-06-2011   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Oh, and Funkins is a total n00b.
That's right Hojo, I told you Big Tommy was at least 900 when we ran it last fall.

Kidding aside, we ran Bailey on Sunday when the gauge read 400 and dropped to 350 over the day. I've been on it a few times and I thought it was closer to 450+.

On another side note, AT&T must have put up a new tower...you can now get 3G most of the way from Pine Junction to Bailey.
Old 06-06-2011   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Agreed, mislabeled gauges can be a hazard or at least an inconvenience and there are plenty. I saw the gauge you were talking about Marty - canyon mouth near drake reading 350. My guess is that's below the whitewater runs after the additional diversions, but that's just a guess. Anyway, the outflow from Lake Estes is definitely the gauge to use and factor in another bit below drake coming in from the north fork - about 150 now. I tried to use the AW page when Eddyflower was down and it's pretty bad/incomplete right now.

Also agree that Bailey runs higher this time of year than what the Grant/Bailey gauges show. Back when the Pine gauge was still in commission there would often be >100 cfs difference. Some of it could be accuracy, but I suspect most of it is water coming in below the upper gauges.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote