Do neoprene booties keep your feet warm or aid in chilling them - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-17-2012   #1

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Do neoprene booties keep your feet warm or aid in chilling them

Have a theory that neoprene booties should be rubber coated so the outer layer doesnt aid in evaporative cooling.

I've been on rivers where i took off my booties and rowed barefoot because my booties (over neoprene socks) were freezing my feet

Anyone else have similar observations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Winter boating with neobooties over drysuit socks and wool socks friggin sucks. All they do is hold cold water against dry warm feet. Been thinking this for a while, someone needs to make a nice plastic shoe, like a croc except it needs to keep sand and dirt out and away from the dry sock.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Waterproof seams on neoprene booties/socks (and gloves) make a big difference. You are right that evaporative cooling sucks heat off your feet. Also when you constantly replace freezing water inside your booties your feet never heat up the water, and in the calm sections where your feet would be free of splashing without booties, the booties hold some cold water against your feet. If I was going to buy neoprene socks today I would look at NRS's Expedition sock with Hydro cuffs (or something similar) - fully waterproof and the hydro cuff helps prevent water splashing in and replacing water that you have already heated up. Velcro around the top would also work well. A small trick - pour warm water into your booties at the start of the day, with the watertight seams on some socks that water stays warm for a really long time, and so do your feet.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
This year I've got a drysuit with goretex feet. Planning on wearing wool socks under and a pair of keens over (oversized keens). But would like something to protect the fabric from wearing. So want something like neoprene but sheds water ..
Old 03-18-2012   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I like the warm water idea. I see me now packing a thermos for cold trips.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #6

Beckley, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard
Have a theory that neoprene booties should be rubber coated so the outer layer doesnt aid in evaporative cooling.

I've been on rivers where i took off my booties and rowed barefoot because my booties (over neoprene socks) were freezing my feet

Anyone else have similar observations?
I spent 15 yrs. as a guide and always went barefoot in my boat. For some reason my feet were always warmer that way.
rogvandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #7

Sherwood park, Alberta
Paddling Since: 2005
How cold are we talking?

We paddle the Kan river in Canmore, Alberta Canada I february..... We're talking -25 c air temp, however the river is dam controlled so never completely freezes.

I typically wear just a pare of wool socks in in my dry suit, however if I bust out the farmer johns I will typically wear a heavy pair of wigwams socks, with over sized neoprene socks and the my water shoes (water Adidas shoes). More than warm enough!
Mcgliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I too have had problems keeping my feet warm on long off-season float trips. In my kayak it's not usually a problem, but I went for a Ruby/Horsethief float in an aluminum canoe in November and learned the meaning of cold feet....

The only paddling specific shoes I have found that work in the winter are the Keen Gorge boot:

Gorge Boot - Keen

reasonably priced too...
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
Being a diabetic, cold feet is something I have put up with for a long time.

Several years ago, I Finally got a goretex kokotat with sewn in feet. smart wool thin liner sox, thick pair of Alpaca heavy weight sock then the dry suit inside a couple size larger neoprene boots has finally given me warm feet. Been thinking of adding a set of those chemical heaters on really cold river trips. I use the chemical foot heaters in the sleeping bag and man those things make sleeping in the cold much easier.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #10

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
This year I've got a drysuit with goretex feet. Planning on wearing wool socks under and a pair of keens over (oversized keens). But would like something to protect the fabric from wearing. So want something like neoprene but sheds water ..
I recommend scrapping the gortex feet for latex feet. They are much easier to get over your footwear. I wear a thin sock and NRS Men's Kicker Remix Wetshoe at NRSweb.com. It keeps my feet nice and warm and is comfortable in my raft or my kayak.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
booties