Distastrous Technique at Roll Session - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-12-2015   #1

Grand County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Distastrous Technique at Roll Session

So two of us practiced rolling at the pool today and one of us (me) was disastrous at being a helper. My kayak partner is male and 5'10" (150#'s dry) and I'm female and 5'6" (117#'s dry). The shallow end of the pool is 4'. This was my first time helping someone roll and I failed on all counts.

When my partner rolled on his left side, I stood at the stern on the right side. When the kayak was upside down and he tried to roll back up, I put my left shoulder under the stern. This allowed my left arm to go under the boat and wrap around to the top of the left side (so I could kind of pull the boat toward me). My right arm was on the right side of the boat (kind of pushing the boat away from me) - trying to help roll it. It didn't work. I couldn't get any leverage, no grip, no nothing.

Does anyone have tips on how to help someone get turned back upright?

When my partner helped me roll, he was able to flip me back up - over and over with no trouble. I don't know if it's the weight difference, lack of strength on my part, technique, or what, but I failed quite miserably and would like to do a better job next time.

Thanks.

kayak bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015   #2

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
T rescue is what Ive always used. Useful skill out on the river when your with beginners
Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015   #3

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Learn the "Hand of God" technique. It works when you are In your boat or in the scenario you described in shallow water.

See this on PaddleEducation.com. An incredible site to learn most anything related to paddling.
http://paddleeducation.com/?s=Hand+of+God

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
When I learned to roll in a pool my buddy and I took turns putting our hands under the power face of the paddle blade when initiating the hip snap. Give them something firm to brace off of. Then as technique and confidence improve use less and less help until they are rolling on their own.... While this probably isn't the learning process most ACA instructors will recommend, it worked for both of us.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015   #5

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
When I learned to roll in a pool my buddy and I took turns putting our hands under the power face of the paddle blade when initiating the hip snap. Give them something firm to brace off of. Then as technique and confidence improve use less and less help until they are rolling on their own.... While this probably isn't the learning process most ACA instructors will recommend, it worked for both of us.
That sounds like what they recommend here: https://www.atlantickayaktours.com/p...Rolling5.shtml

It should work. Though if everything fails, I imagine you can just do a T rescue from the same location.

For myself, my brother stood at the bow of the boat, and helped me finish any weak roll. It required me to setup and try to roll up again if I failed. On his own, that method doesn't work very well. This appears to be what you (original poster) were trying.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #6

Grand County, Colorado
Thank you! I'll give these suggestions a try, hopefully this week, and will let you know what worked best.
kayak bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #7

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
video

I learned to teach rolling by watching EJ's video. I used this as a guide in teaching new members of our Canoe and Hiking Club at Tennessee.

There are many videos available on Youtube but I haven't vetted them.

Matt
TennesseeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #8
rob

canon city, Colorado
I didn't read all the comments so forgive me if this is a repeat. I've had really good success with being at the side of the boat the learner is coming up on and helping to guide the paddle into the right position, then give support to the blade and they should be able to roll themselves up. This is way easier than trying to roll the boat for them, and they start to learn the move much better.
rlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #9

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
This is what I use to help friends get the knack. Wish someone had shown me this when I was learning. Removes one variable from the upside-down-confused-hypoxic-and-chaotic equation.
Old 12-15-2015   #10

Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
What I do, and with great success, is if the person is upside down, jump over their boat, and grab the edge opposite of you, Then just lean back and let gravity pull you your weight and the boat all the way over. The fatter you are the faster you'll be able to flip the person. I've taken some pretty big gorillas to the pool and managed to flip them back over this way, but I'm also a good sized dude myself
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote