dislocated shoulders anyone? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-30-2007   #1

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
dislocated shoulders anyone?

What's crackin' ya'll?

I had a horrific crash a few years back up on Bethoud Pass and dislocated both shoulders and cracked my sternum. I tried paddling a few times since but keep dislocating on the rolls (both sides). I can pop them back in pretty easy but you can imagine the pain. Doctors told me to give it up. Has anyone been through this? Any recommendations? I can row my raft and drift boat with no problems or pains, and my braces are pretty stong in the yak, they just pop when in the wrong (or right) position. Is there any hope without surgery? I've done the thera-band and other therapies trying to strengthen but not much luck. Not looking to compete or rodeo much but I'd like to throw some wave wheels, blunts, and a few spins once again. Any help or comments would be gr8tly appreciative.

rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007   #2

saratoga, Wyoming
Just read the July post from shady and others about shoulders. Guess I'm not the only one? Got the info I need so no need to reply to this thread. Thanks Rob
Old 08-30-2007   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
yeah i feel your pain on that one. i wish i had a cure but i dont, i kind of just go with it.....if it happens it happens, if you can put it back it by yourself then youre set
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
my wife dislocated paddling and it would always come out until surgery. they have some pretty good docs and techniques these days - its not something that can heal itself.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #5

saratoga, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
my wife dislocated paddling and it would always come out until surgery. they have some pretty good docs and techniques these days - its not something that can heal itself.
What would she say the sugery put her back to... i.e. 75% - 100%

Was is a tore labrum or rotator cuff issue?

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-2007   #6
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!

DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Whats Up Yall

So the knife it was for me. I would suggest you get to a Dr. asap Dr Abott at Vail Summit ortho fixed me up 4 weeks ago. I had a torn labrum repair and a 'boney bankhart' repair he had to put 1 screw in and a few sutior anchors. Im sure they can do somthing to help you like a Glenoid capsul reduction.. may be. I would not give up all hope. All though I did have to give up skiing due to a bad car crash. I destroyed my left knee and bolth my hips and pelvis. So... I get back in a boat and screw up my shoulder what a way to get back to boating. But back to you go see a Dr. Get a MRI and get ready to deal with some BS if you need the knife. I would say 4 weeks out Im douing good every thing feels tight and they say I will be 100% by January. The knife was my only choice it may be the best rought for you. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to pm me with any questions.
Old 08-30-2007   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
go to the doc

Surgery is the only way to go. Make sure you do all the rehab. I dislocated 50-100 before I had surgury 5 years ago and haven't had any problems since. Learn how to keep your limbs out of compromising positions.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #8

saratoga, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcamp View Post
Surgery is the only way to go. Make sure you do all the rehab. I dislocated 50-100 before I had surgury 5 years ago and haven't had any problems since. Learn how to keep your limbs out of compromising positions.

It's interesting to hear from paddlers who have gone through it. I'm a little over 3 dozen dislocations right now. I was told that I've waited too long and surgery wouldn't help me at all. Man the bs you hear from folks who think they know.
Old 08-30-2007   #9
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpeddie View Post
It's interesting to hear from paddlers who have gone through it. I'm a little over 3 dozen dislocations right now. I was told that I've waited too long and surgery wouldn't help me at all. Man the bs you hear from folks who think they know.
with that much in/out/in/out, your labrum is confetti at this point man. the labral cartilege forms the "suction cup" (not really a "cup", more like a golf tee) that keeps the humeral head in place. the rotator cuff muscles back the humeral head up & lock it in. but no matter how strong yr rotator cuff is, if you have shredded cartilege, you're going to dislocate over & over. get that shit stitched up!

talk to a hundred different doc's (& PT's) until you find the right one who "gets" what you do & where you want to be in a year's time. it's an elective surgery, so you have the luxury of time to research. i brought my powerbook into doctors office & showed them video & pics of what i do.

as for metrics, i had 190 degrees of shredded labrum fixed back in the beginning of october (no bone or RC damage). i was paddling easy stuff infrequently by december. & fully back in the game by march/april. i followed an aggressive back-to-sport program under the supervision of a couple PTs who "got it". yoga & indoor climbing really helped during the winter too. and, knock on wood, i haven't had any issues since.

good luck .. make it happen.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #10
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!

DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
GO TO A DOC

I agree 100% get to DR ASAP the longer you let it go the worse it gets. I had bone damage. SO I will heal quicker but you MUST DO THE REHAB AND PT. Personal Torture but it will help. Take a year off I know it sucks but it is the rest of your life, and get they S?!t fixed.