Dislocated Shoulder - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-09-2011   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Dislocated Shoulder

Hey there I'm a long time lurker here on mountain buzz... and I'm pretty sure this is my first real post. Probably the sort of topic that has been talked about over and over, but I wanted to hear your thoughts.

Today I went out with a relative beginner friend who decided to practice his roll in the eddy before heading out into the meat. For no apparent reason he dislocated his shoulder just trying to set up. He had done about 30 rolls in the pool just a few days before with no problems. Well, I got him to shore and reduced the shoulder. I did WFR two years ago, but until now I had never used anything from that course. This is the first injury that I have seen on the river beyond bumps and bruises (in two seasons of paddling). Folks out there deal with strainers, pins, near drownings, and death on the river and move past it - what do I need to do to keep this freak accident from f----ing with my own head and mentality while paddling? Have any of you seen or heard anything like this... I mean he was in a still eddy with no real MOI. I can rationalize that a dislocated shoulder isn't really a big deal - I broke my collarbone mountain biking, but but I don't/ didn't have the same discomfort with the idea of going back out to the trail. Is this the sort of thing that you get used to?

Mostly sorry for being melodramatic about this.

Websta' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
It's too bad to hear about this friend of yours... Joints are funky, and particularly with shoulders there doesn't always have to be an obvious MOI. Unseen individual conditions such as 'lose' or 'stretched' tendons around the shoulder cuff may be genetic or the lingering results of some long forgotten over-extension. I'm sure you've heard that once a shoulder is dislocated it's easier for it to happen agen, well the same is true for strain injury that has healed.
That being said, technique and positioning are key. Now I'm just guessing at this, but it sounds like your friend doesn't have too terribly much boating experience, and I would wager that he had is hands and paddle arranged outside of the box (the imaginary box you hold in your hands squarely in front of your shoulders). If your elbow or more so your hand is behind your shoulder it can take as little as 10 pounds of force in the right (or wrong!) direction to dislocate the shoulder joint.
In short, it sucks, but I wouldn't fret over it too much. With dedication to good PT and an eye to perfect technique I'm sure he will be able to keep paddling very successfully. For me, form really is the key to safe and effective paddling. The mind can be your biggest setback, so if your worried about it happening to you, I would encourage you to get an instructor or someone who you know to be a good and better boater than you (don't take that personally, there is always someone better!) to take a look at your role. They should be able to notice if your hands are out of position and can give you some form advice.
Also, please post a synopsis of what you did to reduce his shoulder, I'm sure we would all like to hear!
Best of boating to you and your friend.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Websta' View Post
Hey there I'm a long time lurker here on mountain buzz... and I'm pretty sure this is my first real post. Probably the sort of topic that has been talked about over and over, but I wanted to hear your thoughts.

Today I went out with a relative beginner friend who decided to practice his roll in the eddy before heading out into the meat. For no apparent reason he dislocated his shoulder just trying to set up. He had done about 30 rolls in the pool just a few days before with no problems. Well, I got him to shore and reduced the shoulder. I did WFR two years ago, but until now I had never used anything from that course. This is the first injury that I have seen on the river beyond bumps and bruises (in two seasons of paddling). Folks out there deal with strainers, pins, near drownings, and death on the river and move past it - what do I need to do to keep this freak accident from f----ing with my own head and mentality while paddling? Have any of you seen or heard anything like this... I mean he was in a still eddy with no real MOI. I can rationalize that a dislocated shoulder isn't really a big deal - I broke my collarbone mountain biking, but but I don't/ didn't have the same discomfort with the idea of going back out to the trail. Is this the sort of thing that you get used to?

Mostly sorry for being melodramatic about this.
Nice job, sounds like you did everything right. Keep up the good work. Your friend was lucky to have you there.You did what you needed to do and that is what counts.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Kind of helpful

This might be helpful for strengthening the shoulder. Written by a kayaker and PT.

Prevent Shoulder Injury and Strengthen your Shoulders for Paddling: - Wave Sport
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #5

Ashland and Lake Almanor, state of jefferson
Paddling Since: 1997
shoulder injurys suck, alot harder to fix. i wish i took care of mine better
kaya dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #6

Teacher
It comes in waves usually. I went 6 years with out seeing one in our river program. Then had a rash of 6 or 7 dislocations in 3 years. Usually, very flexiable girl with out much muscle structure. Found out since that as a part of puberty young women's joints loosen for a time. Since then have started a pretty strict warm up and shoulder strengthening routine. Focusing on technique helps as well, keep those elbows in the box. At some point it does seem to be your physical make up. We had one guy who was a gymnast who was very strong but he would "pop" pretty regularly. I reduced his shoulder 3 times.
Old 04-11-2011   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya dog View Post
shoulder injurys suck, alot harder to fix. i wish i took care of mine better
I second this. I have an old baseball injury to my rotator cuff, and have dislocated my shoulder 3 times in the river....it really does suck, but it won't keep me from paddling...just makes me condition myself for paddling better, and work to always use proper technique.

Sounds like you did the right thing though.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #8

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I third that Kaya dog. Over 30 dislocations two operations and still doing what I love to do. Good job on reduceing it. My first one people tryed to reduce it on scene with no luck, an hour and a half later and them totaly putting me under did it finally go back in. Tell your buddy to hang in there and if there is no pain no gain. Hope he recovers well
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #9

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
I had over 15 dis-locations last season and finally went in after 3 years of putting it off and it just kept getting worse, to find I had a torn labrum (posterior)! I would get rolled in a rapid and while in the chunder it would pop out (posterior) and I would have to wait for "calmer water" and roll it (my shoulder) back in under water berfore I could roll up (Lungs of steel...ha haaaa!!). It would just lock up, so I would tuck my paddle in my left arm pit, grab my right wrist with my left hand and jolt it forward and it would roll back in place or re-set itself, then I would grab my paddle and roll up!! REALLY SUCKED and just got OLD!! Went under the knife X-Mas week and I'm still healing from surgery and will miss out this season! Take the recovery seriously...because I didn't and did some STUPID stuff and ended up injuring it again just a month ago...don't make the same mistake I did!! GOOD LUCK to your friend!! Cheers! -Nick