Dirty Devil - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2011   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Dirty Devil

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the dirty devil. I am putting on tomorrow and it is flowing at 500cfs and rising. Any info on rapids at his level, sweet hikes...
thanks

WaterRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011   #2
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
That's the spirit, ol' boy. I wish I knew what was down there. Have fun finding out.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #3

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Two pals from Palisade did the thing 2 weeks ago...had a small cat boat and just did get thru. Other pals from Ridgeway did it last weekend but I have not heard from them yet......either haven' fun or they are dead and gone.
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011   #4

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Check the sites up stream they seem to be going down. Go as lite as you can and take extra food. The river water is undrinkable. This time of year river levels can change a lot in a few days. Also it can be windy.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Unless something's changed, I don't think there are serious rapids. My friends did it in open canoes.

But 500 cfs is a lot of water for that channel, so look out for snags, derelict cars, and such.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #6
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Watch out for quickmud! and the water IS drinkable.... under extreme duress, by letting it settle overnight in a cooking pot and then treating it as normal (iodine,murine,filter, etc...)

...gotta love NOLS. By the end of that trip I also was scooping water out of shallow sandstone potholes with my nalgene lid. Cause it was the only water around...

Robber's Roost is a cool side canyon. Thats a big one. We hiked over a hundred miles in 26 days, but I dont remember many of the names. full on canyoneering and slickrock like you're on mars in many of the side canyons.
have fun! Be safe!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #7

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
When I floated (drug the boat) down the Muddy their were 9 dead cows in the water or on the bank. We went from I-70 to factory butte. The water in both rivers is very salty, dirty and will upset most guts. There is one spring (angel) and maybe some water in the canyons.Below poison springs the is little water in the side canyons.There is one new rapid near the bottom. It's new and has sharp rocks,a rope snaged in it and can flip a canoe.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
I have been eyeing this and would like to put on Sunday (perhaps) knowing that the end may be shy of water.
Anyone found someone in Hanksville who will run a shuttle?
Thanks!
suzpollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #9
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
When I floated (drug the boat) down the Muddy their were 9 dead cows in the water or on the bank. We went from I-70 to factory butte. The water in both rivers is very salty, dirty and will upset most guts. There is one spring (angel) and maybe some water in the canyons.Below poison springs the is little water in the side canyons.There is one new rapid near the bottom. It's new and has sharp rocks,a rope snaged in it and can flip a canoe.

Wow. thats pretty gnarly. I am glad my dirty devil drinking days were in 2003. Have fun! It is truly a one of a kind place (Canyonlands in general). I would love to go back some day.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote