Dirtbags Steal from Orphan Campers, Plz Help - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-14-2008   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Dirtbags Steal from Orphan Campers, Plz Help

(Buzzards, if you can help, please send me an e-mail) Sticky?

I was reading yesterday’s Vail Daily and came across this article:

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20080812/NEWS/707563821&parentprofile=search

It seems that some dirtbag stole personal belongings from Meet the Wilderness campers while they were out on a camping trip.

Meet the Wilderness is a local camp program that brings troubled inner city youth to the mountains for an educational experience (www.meetthewilderness.org) and is an outstanding charitable organization.

I spoke with my former neighbor, Todd, who is the Trips Director and he said the kids are orphans with very difficult pasts who have very little to their names. The things that they did have were stolen including cash, iPods, video games, cell phones, and other personal belongings while they were visiting our community. The total amount to replace these items is probably around $1500 according to Todd.

I think that this is a really bad situation, and is something that we as a community can make better. I am planning on donating some money on behalf of Managed Data to Meet the Wilderness to help replace the stolen items. If I could, I would do it all myself, but I need some help. I would like to call upon my friends and colleagues in the local business community, and local community in general to help these kids out.

If there is anything you can donate, even if it isn’t much, it would be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know what you can do, and I will coordinate collecting the money, and adding it to Managed Data’s donation and will personally see that it goes towards replacing the stolen belongings.

David Dempsey
President

Managed Data
970-376-1819

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Don't be scared, I see you viewing the thread!
Old 08-14-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
David,

Is there a way to donate items, such as MP3 players, phones, clothing, or anything else we might have second hand? I want to help out, but as the old expression goes "I gave at the office." I'm tapped for cash but I'll gladly give personal belongings to help these kids.

I hope these theives get what they deserve!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
I will find out about that, good idea. The cops have the list of the missing stuff right now, so it may be hard to come up with what all stuff was stolen. He said there were some phones, ipods, PSP's, and stuff. I guess people must have donated this stuff to them or something in the past, but not really sure.

I'm working on finding some matchers to help multiply cash donations. I am going to try to match from my business (things are tight here right now too, which is why I need help) if even $.50 on the dollar or something, and find another sponsor or two to help match if I can. I have a lot of contacts in the E.C. biz community.

I was thinking it would be cool to put any extra money over $1500 toward the reward for the capture and public beating of the person(s) who did this, but not really sure how that works! Anyways, we all know, what goes around comes around, and that is pretty low...
Old 08-14-2008   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You mean we might get rewarded for beating these motherless suns o' bitches?
Count me in!

And PM me about donating goods. This post might disappear, but I'm still down to help out.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #6

C.O.
Quote:
Mike Beltracchi, executive director of Meet the Wilderness, said the theft may have occurred Saturday night while an employee of Minturn Middle School had a party for her 15-year-old daughter with a DJ.
From reading the article, it sounds like it was probably other teenagers who stole the stuff, meaning that stuff won't see a pawn shop, just hidden and used in their bedrooms and then thrown away when they get scared of getting caught. Stupid reprobates.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #7

C.O.
ps..... I posted this on a mountain climbing forum.... that may rouse some interest.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #8

Eagle County, Colorado
Cool, thanks for doing that.
Old 08-15-2008   #9

Eagle County, Colorado
Effort to help campers underway | VailDaily.com
Old 08-15-2008   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Dave,

Put me down for $25. PM me with the contribution info (address and who to make a check out to).

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag