Dinosaur NM threatened - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2013   #1

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Dinosaur NM threatened

This is disturbing:

Irresponsible drilling proposals for national parks - The Denver Post

Please take the time to call or email Ms. Hankins if you feel that her proposal is misguided and not in the spirit of the National Park System. This must be stopped.

Helen Haskins State BLM Director - Colorado
Phone: 303-239-3700
[email protected]

CGR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013   #2

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Doesn't seem to matter much either way: The odds of getting a Yampa permit are about 5% every year: if you never get to see it and are not allowed to see it and it is destroyed does it truly matter? Does a tree make a sound if no one hears it fall?

In truth I am against the drilling and disturbing of any national park or monument. However, the permit system for dino is awful and needs to be revamped (I think it's easier to get on the grand). Thoughts?
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsley View Post
Doesn't seem to matter much either way: The odds of getting a Yampa permit are about 5% every year: if you never get to see it and are not allowed to see it and it is destroyed does it truly matter? Does a tree make a sound if no one hears it fall?

In truth I am against the drilling and disturbing of any national park or monument. However, the permit system for dino is awful and needs to be revamped (I think it's easier to get on the grand). Thoughts?
I go every year on the Yampa and most years I do both(last minute cancelations don't count for the no repeat rule) The Yampa runs pre season almost every year and the Green has a long season Mar-Oct with the Split Mtn day trip option. There is plenty of opportunity to access the river IMO. I'm sorry if you have never been I suggest networking with a group, checking in with Dino river office for cancellations, and considering an off season trip. I know I'm going on the Yampa this year June 10th or more likely early April. Cheers
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimteam101 View Post
I know I'm going on the Yampa this year June 10th...
Wadda ya mean you're going on June 10th? Applications are still being accepted until Feb 1. Is there some double secret lottery I'm not aware of?
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsley View Post

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by teletoes View Post
Wadda ya mean you're going on June 10th? Applications are still being accepted until Feb 1. Is there some double secret lottery I'm not aware of?
I think what he's saying is he applied for June 10th, and if he doesn't get it he will be floating pre "high-use season"...
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by teletoes View Post

No permits needed for Cross Mountain.
I was the only person camped at the putin last June 9/10 weekend.
Only run flowing in the state and no one there. WTF???

And if you have never camped at that put in, it is a rather unique camp site (if you like "gated communities").
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #8

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Oil and gas exploration and drilling impacts to the park could be dramatic: air and water pollution; increased noise; lights from drill rigs harming the scenic beauty of the night sky — all combining to decrease visitation to the park.
Those guys do drill 24/7.
There is huge truck traffic with fracking.

We need energy.
But.
Does anyone know if any restrictions are being placed in these auctions to mitigate impacts versus standard?
They are drilling two mile laterals commonly and some longer now.
Perhaps we should just wait a few years and with improved technology go for well pads 3-4 miles away minimum?
No trucks / equipment through the parks?
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote