Diamond Creek Road flashed? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-22-2012   #1

Redwood City, California
Paddling Since: 2009
Diamond Creek Road flashed?

Hey so I heard a rumor, from waaaaaay out here in California, that Diamond Creek Road flashed. Putting on the Grand on Sept. 1st for 14 days and I'm curious what folks do when if/when Diamond Creek Road is out of commision.

On the other hand, I don't really care because hey, it's the Grand and shit just works out.

Rogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012   #2

cedar city, Utah
If/when its out of commission then you must continue your float down to Pearce Ferry, which has a new ramp.

They make a lot of money on that road and when weather permits I am sure they will have it graded rather fast. Not all flash floods close the road. That said, the entire region has been hammered with moisture and the heaviest monsoon I have seen in the last 5-6 years.

They will allocate an extra two days, possibly more depending on the season, for the float from Diamond to Pearce (only can be used in that stretch)
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #3

Redwood City, California
Paddling Since: 2009
Sounds like we may need more beer.
Rogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012   #4

cedar city, Utah
If floating Diamond Down...yes.....a least a case just to deal with Apocalypse Now like scene you will experience at QuarterMaster. That is were all the helicopters from Vegas fly into and also were they do pontoon floats upriver with the tourists. You'll see 50-100 helicopters in a single day float.

Still worth it, just a harsh transition after the inner canyon experience. Its the Grand though so its all worth it.

I am counting down for my 2nd trip next May.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Yesterday to almost 1,000 cfs

But the road will be open again soon, like tomorrow. When you are here in Sept the monsoons "should" be ending. As Rest notes, you simply get on the Sat phone to your shuttle folks and tell them you will see them at the Pearce Ferry ramp. Adds a few days to your trip, but you get to see the end of the Canyon, a worthy journey. Have fun! Yours, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote