dewey bridge to moab - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2009   #1
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
dewey bridge to moab

think im gonna try to do one last desert float this year. is this stretch doable in mid october? do i need booties and wetsuits?

i read some old threads on here about camping being minimal in the second half of the trip due to tamarisk problems, hows it look down there now? any updates from 2009?

recommended campsites?

stribtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
The water is quite warm in September and early October. As long as the air temp is reasonable you won't need or want a wetsuit. Of course, if you have room bring one along though.

I did it last October. It stormed and the air temp dropped while I was on the river and I had my hands and feet in the water to keep them warm. .

As far as camping in the second half, most of the good spots are designated BLM campgrounds. There are some other places as well. Note that river right is Arches Ntl. Park for most of the last part and I believe permits are required (I could be wrong)

Another note, there is a special fire restriction in force right now. No open fires 1/4 mile from the river and that includes developed campgrounds with fire rings. It most likely will not be in effect by October.
dak_sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #3
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak_sunset View Post

Another note, there is a special fire restriction in force right now. No open fires 1/4 mile from the river and that includes developed campgrounds with fire rings.
does "open fires" include firepans? or just ground fires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009   #4

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
no open fires means charcoal and propane stoves only. I always call the appropriate blm office before I go to confirm open fire status.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #5

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
hmmmm... Charcoal may be prohibited too right now...

Check this out: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...estriction.pdf

Best to call BLM in Moab for details..
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I always find goodcamps along that stretch, and while there is a section that gets away from the road, most camps are within eye/ear shot of it. There are some fine camps river right at onion creek that are away from the road, other occasional sandy beaches, and at low water the islands often provide a decent place to camp. There are plenty of improved camps at the several river access parks along the river, which could (you never know...) eliminate your need for toilet and firepan, but require fees and you risk camping with hordes of .... well you know, so take the toilet and avoid 'em like a skunk. As I remember, camping below the Big Bend takeout going into moab is pretty scarce aside from some access to car camping areas, and really slow water, but an easy day float. Also beware the barges toting tourists agape at the light show on the cliffs at night on the final leg.
Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #7
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
i just called the moab blm office to ask if they maintained a list of campsites along this stretch, they directed me to a webpage that lists all of the blm maintained campsites on river left. all of these sites are accessible by road, they also told me that i cant camp anywhere else... is this true? did the guy not know what he was talking about? seems like alot of people mentioned campsites on river right in this and other threads, whats the deal?

also the previously mentioned fireban has been rescinded.
Old 09-28-2009   #8

Hi,

I did Westwater to Hite at the end of October and into November last year. Beautiful weather, and I had the place pretty much to myself. I enjoyed the stretch you're talking about doing, even though it can't be considered remote by any means.

On wet gear, there are only minimal rapids on this stretch, and I would expect to need something like that only if there was an unusually cold spell, coupled with rain. But even then, even an old geezer like me probably could get away with rain gear and fleece.

I was solo, cooking and sleeping on the boat most nites, and just needed enough shore space to set up my groover. But there were small beaches here and there where a small party could have camped. There were two very nice spots on river right at Onion Creek (one quite large with big cottonwoods), although some houses had been built on the left side a bit back from the river. I don't know about the jurisdictional issues with Arches if you want to stay on river right close to Moab.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
[QUOTE=stribtw;162459]i just called the moab blm office to ask if they maintained a list of campsites along this stretch, they directed me to a webpage that lists all of the blm maintained campsites on river left....

My guess (**w/ general disclaimer of course**) is that you can only camp in BLM spots on the left bank, and that you are fine on the right and on islands. I'd also bet that all typical requirements for overnighters are in place, i.e., toilet, firepan, etc. There is no direct access to Arches NP or the rim anyway, except from a small drainage (Salt Canyon if my memory still works properly) once you get near Big Bend SP. Or maybe that old ladder if you are brave enough to scale it...
Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote