Deso high water kids - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2011   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Deso high water kids

Growing concern about kids on Deso for June 4th launch. Haven't rowed Deso in 10 years. At 26000 cfs are there sneaks? Easy walk-arounds? or are rapids washed-out? Kids have been on the rivers (upper c, San Juan, N & S Platte) since they were born.

winkwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Discussed here:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ter-36331.html

And here:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ing-36358.html

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I was the OP on one of those posts, I decided to change my launch date and play safe. I was originally launching with kids on May 25th, I assume June 4th it will be even bigger.

If your kids can't self rescue in fast water, maybe it wouldn't a good idea to take them. Like someone replied in my post, if you have to ask, you better not go. But you be your own judge of your ability.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Good advice and good call on your trip. Be a good judge of not only your ability--but also of your small children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I was the OP on one of those posts, I decided to change my launch date and play safe. I was originally launching with kids on May 25th, I assume June 4th it will be even bigger.

If your kids can't self rescue in fast water, maybe it wouldn't a good idea to take them. Like someone replied in my post, if you have to ask, you better not go. But you be your own judge of your ability.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #5

cedar city, Utah
Always hard to advise. The hazards as most of us know them for Deso at high water:

Colder than normal water; faster current; more features but likely easily avoided; high probability of large debris behaving dynamically (rocket action out of water); chance of wood piles forming on some of the classic rapids

Sounds like most of the Class III (not many to begin with) rapids wash out. Others get bigger, spikier and splashier but not likely harder.

Commercial trips will not take anyone younger than 5 years old if that helps.

Best of luck. Always hard to make the go-no-go decisions.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #6

cedar city, Utah
PS....you are more likely to see flows in the mid-30s to record peaks (maybe 60k) on a week long trip starting the 4th.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote