deso/grey duckies in big water - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2011   #1

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
deso/grey duckies in big water

my buddy and i have done deso/grey in duckies in May the past 4 years with flow from 9000 to 20,000 cfs. we are set to roll on a duckies only trip with a couple of athletic novices on 5/15 2011 with flows predicted to be 25-30 thousand. anyone out there done the river when it's that high? aside from a very angry joe hutch whom may need to be snuck around and fewer beach campsites, any precautions?

tessathebaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011   #2

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I don't think you will have any problem at that level. My 13 year old daughter did it last May/June at 23,000 in a double ducky with a friend. Only got tossed once. Did the sneak down the right side of Joe Hutch. You can always walk around anything too challenging on Deso/Grey. Basically no consequences.

We will be running it May 27-June 4 this year. Hoping 30,000+ (maybe even the 40's!). My daughter will be running her Mini-Max through it this year. I plan to be paddle support for her through the meat of Joe Hutch at whatever level it is flowing. She can champion Westwater in her Mini-Max I know she will have no problem in Joe Hutch no matter what the level. Should be an awesome ride.

Enjoy your trip. Watch out for the full sized cottonwood trees racing you through the rapids!
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #3

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
One advantage: with ducks you can grab campsites where its hard to land a raft.

Avoid running too near the cliffs on Steer Ridge (L), Three Fords, and other rapids with steep rock walls. At high water, keeper eddies can form in angles and overlaps. I've gotten into a couple. You get spun around and it's hard to both keep from flipping and escape.

Should be a rush. Nice big waves.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011   #4

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessathebaddog View Post
my buddy and i have done deso/grey in duckies in May the past 4 years with flow from 9000 to 20,000 cfs. we are set to roll on a duckies only trip with a couple of athletic novices on 5/15 2011 with flows predicted to be 25-30 thousand. anyone out there done the river when it's that high? aside from a very angry joe hutch whom may need to be snuck around and fewer beach campsites, any precautions?
How novice?

All together duckies are only limited by the skill of their passengers. Swims could be violent and cold but shouldn't be long in most stretches. If they know how to read water their experience will be a lot safer. Some nasty hyrdaulics and features form in the picket fence gardens that are dry at most levels. Places like Flat Canyon and Upper Joe Hutch have easy to miss but serious hazards above 20k. As someone else mentioned, some features could easily be keepers. The rapids I am thinking will be more serious won't be easily portaged.

All in all, I wouldn't rate a high water Deso a beginner run for any paddler or oarsman. For years it has been considered a family run but there are some serious consequences for folks at these historic levels. Could also be nice to have a large boat to pick up the possible carnage of novice paddlers.

Watch out for debris. Your life will be simpler than rafters because you can pull you boats out of the water high and dry. We will launch May 22 on a 2 boat trip and will have to watch boats in camp closely. Definitely gonna have multiple lines on our rigs at night.

Sounds like we may see a major spike next weekend if the weather reports are accurate. Heavy, wet snow forecast above 8k followed by a warm spell....might actually start the real runoff cycle.

Have fun!

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #5

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
ive seen joe hutch at 16000 and 20000. 16 is really fun kind of big, washes out at 20000 who knows what 30-40000 could be llike!
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big water