Deso flatwater-How fast can I do the first 25 w/o a motor? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-24-2012   #1

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Deso flatwater-How fast can I do the first 25 w/o a motor?

We are doing Deso on 6/9. I am expecting the flow to be around 1500, according to what Flaming Gorge says on their site. How many hours should I expect it to take with moderate rowing and getting an early (low wind) start? I have heard people mention dragging a bucket in the water once the winds come up. How effective is this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Forget the bucket. Tried it a couple of times. Even tried a current anchor. Useless against the wind. Get an early start. We have been in some very serious winds making downriver travel almost impossible. If you have some paddles to bring along, the passengers can assist in making better time.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #3

Cedar hills, Utah
Paddling Since: 1988
It's eternal... Skyman's right. Go EARLY and never ever ever stop rowing. Give the kids paddles and make them earn their dinner. We even had lunch pre made so we could just eat as we rowed. And rowed. And rowed.
Swissriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Just got off Deso yesterday...1450 cfs, two oar boats and 3 kayaks...windy and very shallow channels...on the river by 8AM, had the motor running to Jack Creek and for sections of boat stopping winds...folks said they managed 14 miles the first day...also, 2 bear sightings (no encounters)...one yearling swam across at Poverty but did not disturb us or the camp...clean up, lock up the groover at night and spray kitchen surfaces with bleach solution...still had a blast!
2tomcat2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Just got off Deso yesterday...1450 cfs, two oar boats and 3 kayaks...windy and very shallow channels...on the river by 8AM, had the motor running to Jack Creek and for sections of boat stopping winds...folks said they managed 14 miles the first day...also, 2 bear sightings (no encounters)...one yearling swam across at Poverty but did not disturb us or the camp...clean up, lock up the groover at night and spray kitchen surfaces with bleach solution...still had a blast!
Good advice. I started spraying the kitchen surfaces with a diluted bleach solution back in 2001 on a Tat trip, it can't hurt right? One other benefit: it kills harmful bacteria on these surfaces.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #6
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
How were the bugs between the put in and Jacks Crk?

Thoughts on a trip with flows as low as 900 cfs?

Apparently the Bureau of Rec is bumping releases from Flaming Gorge:

Flaming Gorge is currently releasing and average daily rate of 1,500cfs. The Spring Operations season has ended and we are now entering the Summer Baseflow season.

Beginning on Monday, June 18th 2012, releases from Flaming Gorge will be reduced to a daily average of 1,305 cfs according to the following (and attached) hourly pattern:

Midnight - 6am: 817cfs,
6am 5pm: 1,355 cfs
5pm-11pm- 1,715 cfs
11pm midnight: 1,221 cfs

I anticipate that releases will remain at 1,300cfs until at least July 9th. Email notification will be sent prior to any change from this pattern.

Will the river level out by the time the water hits Deso from Flaming Gorge? I had a similar fluctuation on Lodore one year and it was a very noticeable difference during the day when the water would go from 1700 cfs to 900 cfs. Will it be as pronounced on Deso?

The thought of grinding down Deso <1000 cfs is not terribly alluring.

Thoughts?
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #7

Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Took us two days to get to Mushroom without a motor and constant rowing. Take a motor.
Old 06-26-2012   #8

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Can you provide a link so I can research dam releases also, please? I have a Deso permit for 7/12 and am not optimistic...
psheya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Flaming Gorge Reservoir
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #10
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
I actually called the hydrologists listed on that bureau of rec page. Talked to her for about 15 minutes.

The releases from FG are intended to keep the water at 1300-ish only to Jensen for threatened/endangered species protection, not for irrigation. The state of UT handles irrigation, and what comes out below Jensen (which is above Deso) is largely up to the water rights holders.

At least that's what I got out of our conversation. She said it would be unlikely that the river below Jensen would drop below 1000 but she said there was no way of knowing for sure.

The Jensen gauge is currently showing 110 more than the Green River gauge.

Good luck if you go for your Deso launch.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote