Derk Slottow's Memorial plans - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2009   #1

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Derk Slottow's Memorial plans

Hello Derk's family and friends,
I decided to start a new thread for organizing a memorial to honor Derk's life forever. I'm not sure exactly what we'll do; sculpture, bench with plaque, or any other ideas you may have. You can donate to this cause at Golden River Sports or at any Wells Fargo bank under the "Derk Slottow Memorial Fund." In addition, we should create some fund raising events like bake sales, paddle-a-thons, flyers, etc. I know we should approach the CSM treasury dept to see if they can help make this happen. So, let us know what you think would be the most honorable memorial in or near Golden's WW park for Derk.
Thanks,
T-ROY GRS
ps-could you please make this thread sticky so it doesn't get lost in the sea of posts on the buzz? That would be awesome!

T-ROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Last week someone mentioned the idea of "fixing" the damn below screaming 1/4 mile on Clear Creek in his honor. While I know this wouldn't be cheap, it seems like a perfect way to honor his memory.

Not only would he like it as a boater, but he was studying for that field professionally. I know we have contacts that can help make this happen affordably.

I'm sure it could be more than just fixed, but turned into something cool.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
fix that dam so it has a sick 10 foot boof on each side with a channel down the middle, he wouldn't have any disagreements.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Last week someone mentioned the idea of "fixing" the damn below screaming 1/4 mile on Clear Creek in his honor. ...
This is my favorite idea. It would be a huge gift to the paddling community which is probably what Derk would want.

Not only would it fix a man-made hazard that chops off the bottom of Derk's local run, it would allow people to easily add the last class 1/4 mile of III+/IV to a lower CC run. They could take out on the east side of tunnel #1 (easy, fat, safe pull-off) instead of the west side (smaller, dangerous pulloff on a blind curve). It would also give peace of mind to people who are swimming the bottom of the screaming 1/4 mile at high water.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #5

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
I 4th fixing the diversion dam below 1/4 mile!! That would be amazing!!!! What do we have to do to get this rolling?? Would we have to contact the county and start a petition???? I would definitely be up for getting some fundraisers going to support the cost!! How do we get the approval and permits??? This is all new to me, as far as changing government man-made structures???

Whew..... got me all excited there for a minute!!!!

Hopefully some knowledgable people in the community will chime in here shortly and advise!! Thanks for bringing the idea to the table!!!

Cheers!

-Nick
Old 07-28-2009   #6
skinny kid

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Send a message via Skype™ to shaneatrep
Hi Everyone,
This is Shane from Recreation Engineering and Planning (REP). We designed and built the Golden park. I can't offer our services for free but I personally would be willing to do some of the work on this project pro-bono. I didn't know Derk, but I do know the dam and I have read about Derk's lifestyle and paddling accomplishments. I want to help.

There is a lot of leg-work that needs to be done and I would be happy to "project manage" to help keep things moving and organize tasks. The first three tasks that come to mind are:
1) This project may not be possible because the dam is used for a diversion and the owners of the diversion may not want anyone to touch it. Can someone find out who owns the diversion and call them to discuss the situation?
2) Can anyone build a website that will act as the homebase for fundraising, pictures, and current events on the project? Any webmasters out there?
3) No matter how we shake it, we'll need at least $50K to get anything done. Does anyone know how to search for grants and funding assistance? Bake sales, races, gear swaps, etc. are great, but there is a lot of federal stimulus money out there right now and some may be available for this dam.
3) Can anyone get a property ownership map of this area? Part of the dam is probably owned by CDOT and if so, we need to start talking with them too.

We are a huge community, and by pooling our resources, tragedies like this can develop into something positive. If you guys want to make this happen, REP will help.

Please contact me via email: [email protected].
see you on the water,
-Shane Sigle
shaneatrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneatrep View Post
Hi Everyone,
This is Shane from Recreation Engineering and Planning (REP). We designed and built the Golden park. I can't offer our services for free but I personally would be willing to do some of the work on this project pro-bono. I didn't know Derk, but I do know the dam and I have read about Derk's lifestyle and paddling accomplishments. I want to help.

There is a lot of leg-work that needs to be done and I would be happy to "project manage" to help keep things moving and organize tasks. The first three tasks that come to mind are:
1) This project may not be possible because the dam is used for a diversion and the owners of the diversion may not want anyone to touch it. Can someone find out who owns the diversion and call them to discuss the situation?
2) Can anyone build a website that will act as the homebase for fundraising, pictures, and current events on the project? Any webmasters out there?
3) No matter how we shake it, we'll need at least $50K to get anything done. Does anyone know how to search for grants and funding assistance? Bake sales, races, gear swaps, etc. are great, but there is a lot of federal stimulus money out there right now and some may be available for this dam.
3) Can anyone get a property ownership map of this area? Part of the dam is probably owned by CDOT and if so, we need to start talking with them too.

We are a huge community, and by pooling our resources, tragedies like this can develop into something positive. If you guys want to make this happen, REP will help.

Please contact me via email: [email protected].
see you on the water,
-Shane Sigle

I'm a webmaster and would volunteer to open a site for this cause!!

-Nick
Old 07-28-2009   #8

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey T-Roy
We started a thread last week about the memorial plans. There are a lot more ideas on there too.

Joe Hemelt is working on getting the pavilion for Sat. for the float. I am sure you are in contact with him as he knows as much as I do right now.

I have a call into Mike Harvey about the dam...It is probably going to take years and thousands of dollars to make that happen. I agree Derk would think the idea is awesome but I feel like we need something at the park to remember him by too since the dam is a time consuming, costly project that may not be done for years, if we ever raise enough money for it. The dam is something a group of people could pursue overtime in Derks name as well as in the name of sponsors that would donate money to the cause but I doubt we could raise money and deal with the permits and politics quickly.

Maybe we can do a memorial statue or bench and place it in the play park and when the dam is cleaned move it up there or something.

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
time consuming or not, why rush anything. nothing is changingin the present future and if it helps safety n the overall picture and helps create a more fuild run which derk liked why not. im sure derk would like to fix that structure more than he would like a bench or a statue or a plack!

derk was awsome its only fitting to do something awsome in his name. a bench or statue in my mind doesn't fit derk at all! biggest little man i ever had the pleasure of knowing and he tried damn near hearder than anyone. so why rush and push for instant gratification. thats not exactly what kayaking is about it takes years to get to the place where derk was in his paddling career. go big or go home is one phrase derk said to me as we were scouting the putin drop at bluegrass. a bench is not derk!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUkayakGirl View Post
Hey T-Roy
We started a thread last week about the memorial plans. There are a lot more ideas on there too.

Joe Hemelt is working on getting the pavilion for Sat. for the float. I am sure you are in contact with him as he knows as much as I do right now.

I have a call into Mike Harvey about the dam...It is probably going to take years and thousands of dollars to make that happen. I agree Derk would think the idea is awesome but I feel like we need something at the park to remember him by too since the dam is a time consuming, costly project that may not be done for years, if we ever raise enough money for it. The dam is something a group of people could pursue overtime in Derks name as well as in the name of sponsors that would donate money to the cause but I doubt we could raise money and deal with the permits and politics quickly.

Maybe we can do a memorial statue or bench and place it in the play park and when the dam is cleaned move it up there or something.

I 2nd the statue idea or something at the PP!! This is more realistic for instant gradification, but let's keep the momentum going on the dam idea and see what we can pull together as a community!!