Dent in my boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-10-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Dent in my boat

I was doing a seal start into black bear hole and hit a rock and it left aa good sized dent in my boat. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I used a hairdryer to heat mine up and then it just popped out. My dent was in the side and sounds like yours is in the nose, but you could heat it and then push a broom handle in, maybe? You could probably sit it out the sun too.
Old 08-10-2010   #3

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
One property of Polyethelyne is that it has 'memory'. Well to an extent. Sitting it in the sun is really the thing to do. If that dosent bring it around a bit more heat as the last post mentions, but heat gives it the opportunity to re-find it's natural state / shape. Really the only thing you can do, other than checking with warrenty
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010   #4

Front Range, "Beautiful Colorado"
Paddling Since: 1996
Heat a bunch of gallons of water to just below boiling then poor it in the boat. Suspend the boat in the air with rope etc and let heat and gravity work together. Be very careful using any sort of probing items (broomstick, 2x4's etc) you could easily push a hole right through the plastic when it gets soft.

Try gravity 1st then if all else fails maybe a broomstick,but only if the boat is unusable due to the dent. otherwise just boat with a dent.
Old 08-10-2010   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboats View Post
Heat a bunch of gallons of water to just below boiling then poor it in the boat. Suspend the boat in the air with rope etc and let heat and gravity work together. Be very careful using any sort of probing items (broomstick, 2x4's etc) you could easily push a hole right through the plastic when it gets soft.

Try gravity 1st then if all else fails maybe a broomstick,but only if the boat is unusable due to the dent. otherwise just boat with a dent.
Yep, that'll do er. The sun does wonders as well.
Old 08-10-2010   #6

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Put a big dent in my Burn after running the Silverplume mank....left my boat out in the sun all day and it popped out, mostly.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #7
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Dent

JBoats is right on. I have seem people push both 2x4 and broomsticks through the ends of their over softened boats. Stick with hot water of a hot air gun. NO TORCH and NO FLAME! Plastic will turn to liquid at 275 degrees and water boils at 212 degrees. You can see why you really don't need anything stronger.
Old 08-10-2010   #8

Boulder, Colorado
the dent is on the very front of the hull if that makes any difference. I'll try the sun first and if that doesn't work I'll do the water thing. Also, I thought that putting your boat in the sun would make it Oil can?
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #9

Durango, Colorado
i put my boat out in the sun for a day and the dent fully came out of the nose of it. the sun shouldn't hurt your boat for a day or two....oil canning because of sun usually happens when you keep your boat out in the sun all the time
GunnyRyan is offline   Reply With Quote