Deer Creek worth the drive? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
Deer Creek worth the drive?

We are looking for some beta on Deer Creek just outside of Casper. Wondering what it is like at 450? Is there any camping in the area?

Thanks

Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Ed said it is good. It hasn't been run (the whole thing ) in like 8yrs or something. It's suppose to be steep and continuous. I would love to hit it also. Sounds like it would be worth it, just not sure about good levels?

Gary
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Where are the local boys in Casper? I am sure somebody has seen it in the last 8 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
Looks like there is water in there according to the AW gauge, about 450.

Gary, can you go fire this up real quick and give us a TR, preferably by 8pm tonight?
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
LOL, I need drive time at least, Rhodes. Not sure I can sandbag Eric twice in under a week. We will get'r maybe next week. Don't worry, I'll let you know if you don't let me know sooner.

I know for a fact the whole run hasn't been paddled since the first d 8/10 yrs ago.

I did also learn it's a long day. We will flash the run when we get a chance.

Once again Mulkey has a lot of beta on this and can help, I have got most of this 2rd hand from him. Ed C is the old schooler that seems to know all about what went down in WY on that side.

Also, Aaron has been promoted to the B team, after his antics on friday. He almost got kicked in the nuts by Eric and I. So if he tries them with you, let us know, just say no to shoshoni in 40degrees and sleet. Jackass!
Old 05-11-2008   #6

casper deer creek

check the archives of last year.
Caspermike posted pictures of his trip down it, and regardless of what you think about him he knows something about it.

Gary, Ed ( and some of the rest of us) have been running the shoeshine all winter. 40 degrees and sleet are S.O.P
shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Shortbus, If you're hard up to paddle, or just want to play sho is fine. Not what we expected, lol. Aaron, you jackass!

As for casper, I do think he is a jackass. I saw the pics of his upper descent. 2 miles of a run is far from "doing the run".

I would say Ed will give you much more info, being he has ran the whole run, then someone who did a 1/4 of it.

I'm sure Casper has info on the creek, just none that I couldn't get from someone who paddled the entire run. I say just go in and figure it out yourself.

Anyway, BE was a good find by casper and it is worthy with water.

Gary
Old 05-12-2008   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
Shortbus, If you're hard up to paddle, or just want to play sho is fine. Not what we expected, lol. Aaron, you jackass!

As for casper, I do think he is a jackass. I saw the pics of his upper descent. 2 miles of a run is far from "doing the run".

I would say Ed will give you much more info, being he has ran the whole run, then someone who did a 1/4 of it.

I'm sure Casper has info on the creek, just none that I couldn't get from someone who paddled the entire run. I say just go in and figure it out yourself.

Anyway, BE was a good find by casper and it is worthy with water.

Gary
You are an idiot gary...you seem to know more about my trips than i do.......
i ran the lower half of deer creek last year because i had one other person with me otherwise we would have gone all the way..... lower half has more continual gradient and longer... the upper is more pool drop..... half way is at the pasture on top of banner mountain. you have to drive up hat six from casper to get to it. shuttle for this trip would probably take 2 hours total if not more. full put in is at VR camp at the confluence of the north fork and middle fork of deer creek.

its a 2 track road so its needs to be dry for (2 weeks) trust me ill be back in here before any of you gary......
it has been run in 8 years there are boaters in douglas who have been doing it awhile.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #9

Seattle, Washington
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Hey casper, if you want to get back at Gary, start with posting interesting information like the original topic of the post asks for. Is it worth the drive from Denver? What are good flows? Can you run the shuttle right now or is it snowed in? Answers to questions like these give you a bit more legitimacy in a pissing war.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
currently snowing and raining. the road to the putin for the lower and upper canyon would be pratically impossible to drive up with the moisture. in my opinion its alot like bailey so if bailey is running i would probbaly hit that instead, unless you are in the area.

the shuttle would take close to 2 hours, or as soon as it dries up enough i can get my pops to drive us up so we don't have to worry about a shuttle.

note that gauge reading is the boxelder gauge. both creeks run pretty close cfs wise. 300 would be a very enjoyable level can be run as low as 150 cfs on the be gauge
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote