Deep Creek, CO - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2005   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Deep Creek, CO

Was reading about Treasure Canyon and thought I'd add this post.

Has anyone ever explored or scouted Deep Creek which drains out of the Flattops to the Colorado above Dotsero? I ask because my wife got me a book for Christmas that had a nice picture of the canyon in it. I looked at a large scale topo and it looks like a sizeable drainage and maybe not too steep.

I'm too new to boating to care about freshies so I just thought I'd toss this out for curiosity and conversation.

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2005   #2

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
lota wood
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005   #3

The next zone, .
Full of wood and full of brook trout - the fishing down there is great!
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005   #4

I've heard that some of the old BOC instructors have run the lower sections of it...
Old 02-14-2005   #5

schizzle

too new to care about freshies???

you'll have to come down and help me clean this spring - i've got a few things scouted out. one will require some aggressive chain sawing but will be schweet.

i looked at that deep creek once and it was wood/brush fest.
matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #6

Golden, Colorado
Wood. . .brush, I've got a orange and white friend that could fix that. You should see what Vince and I did on Lefthand the other day. Still got two miles to go, but the bottom you wouldn't even recognize (from a boater's perspective!) anymore. Totally clean. Same with SoBo creek from Gross down to the 2nd bridge. Stealth runs, early mornings.

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2005   #7
DP/ Cinematographer

DP - cinematographer brookaitken.com, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
Schizzle & Deep Creek

Thank U Schizzle 4 Nizzle! I hope it SBC & Lefty run this year.

As for Deep Creek and Sweet water creek we ran sections of that so long ago (in a Crossfire) the only thing I remember was lotsa wood. Getting out of your boat quickly and leap frogging with a few other guys pinning ourselves left and right. Thank god the water wasn't too pushy. I think Joel McBride and Chan Z and Dan Braybec and a few other WS'ers 1st D'd all that stuff. Ask them if you are really serious.
Old 02-17-2005   #8

A clean Lefty seems like it would be nice but I still haven't done that run. The bottom Class IV'ish rapid looks fun. Anyone run through there before?

I would imagine that the conditions have to be just right to get good flow through there. Peak runoff with rain storm would open a nice hour window, right?

Was there wood from Gross down to the bridge on SBC? I know DF went through a couple of seasons ago and cleaned the trizzle from the wizzle.

Should be a good front range season this year. Up around 90% of average. Jyeah.
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #9

Golden, Colorado
I did Left Hand last year and it was pretty fun. Fast and woody, but we scouted from the road carefully first. In the larger scheme of things it's just an okay after work run, but it will get a whole degree better once all the woods cleaned up.

From Gross down to the bridge had a few new trees in the main channel. It was all stuff you could boat around, but it'll be more fun to not have them clogging the best line.
Old 12-27-2007   #10

Beta Requested

Hey Schizzle,
have you found out any more about this creek or scouted it? I was looking at it late this fall and didn't have time before the snow fall to scout. I have a possie that is interested in running parts of this creek this summer. The data shows it drops 240 feet per mile which means it's probably total chaos in there.

rmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzle View Post
Was reading about Treasure Canyon and thought I'd add this post.

Has anyone ever explored or scouted Deep Creek which drains out of the Flattops to the Colorado above Dotsero? I ask because my wife got me a book for Christmas that had a nice picture of the canyon in it. I looked at a large scale topo and it looks like a sizeable drainage and maybe not too steep.

I'm too new to boating to care about freshies so I just thought I'd toss this out for curiosity and conversation.
rmack67 is offline   Reply With Quote