Deep Creek? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2008   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Deep Creek?

Has anyone every boated Deep Creek that comes out near Dotsero into the Colorado? It looked money, except there might be a couple of culverts... It wasn't in the book or listed as a run on Eddy Flower.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008   #2

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
a long time ago from the big switch back down to the C. There was a ton of wood and a good mini gorge you can scout from the road. I have heard some folks tried from up top and had to hike out b/c of wood and serious drops. If you are camping up there it would be worth a look.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
this seems to come up about once a year or so....

lower parts have been run, i cant say which parts exactly.....the upper is reportedly full of wood, and the middle is supposedly full on creeking with lots of hazards, combined with lack of access....probably why no one has been in there.

derby creek, the drainage two doors to the north, on the other side of sweetwater creek, looks pretty good, but looks full of hazards? not sure
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I ran Deep Creek along with Rob Sanner and Dr. Bill Bevins in the summer of 1997. We did it as a two day self supported trip and believed it was a first descent at the time. There was a lot of wood, but also a lot of clean creeking. We portaged one awesome looking short gorge due to logs wedged in the narrow slot exit and a couple of nasty rock water sections. The only negative of the trip was getting picked up after to hear that Henry Philip had died on the Meatgrinder that day. I can answer any questions anyone might have. 970-920-7995. John Gloor
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #5

What is up with Derby Creek? It looks like its drainage is larger than Sweetwater's, but steeper. I looked at the bottom of it one time while paddling the CO. Burns section. The guy who's house was at the confluence with Derby Creek and Colorado river had a bunch of old school boats.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #6

Sweet!

John Gloor,

You are a badass. Seriously. Cool stuff.

I bet you were in an 11-foot boat too, eh?

Any pics you could scan and post?
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #7

Sweet. By the way, since we're on the topic, Sweetwater is truly a piece of shit creek. It ranks with the worst runs I've ever done. If you really want to run it go poach the cool drop at the top and then drive to the takeout and run the last 1/2 mile. That's the only real paddling there is in there. If it were clean and high, it would be fun but it's all private land so it will never be clean and will rarely be high. Deep sounds like it might be more worthwhile though. Would you say it was pretty good?

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #8

Eagle County, Colorado
It looks like it has been crankin, maybe it has cleaned out some of the wood?

P.S. I am just a poser, but saw it on the way to doing some camping and was suprised I'd never heard people talking about it. It was running fast and crystal clear. We also checked out the gorge overlook and could see it off in the distance. I will try to post the picture or two that I have of that.
Old 06-19-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
It looks like it has been crankin, maybe it has cleaned out some of the wood?

P.S. I am just a poser, but saw it on the way to doing some camping and was suprised I'd never heard people talking about it. It was running fast and crystal clear. We also checked out the gorge overlook and could see it off in the distance. I will try to post the picture or two that I have of that.
If you're talking about Sweetwater, the answer is No. Most of the trees that are small enough to wash out aren't an issue. The ones that pose a problem are all 8"-24" in diameter, i.e. not going to happen without some serious chainsaw work and not worth the time you'd put in to cut them out.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #10

Eagle County, Colorado
No, was talking about Deep Creek. It is one drainage over from Sweetwater, kind of west-ish. Coffee Pot road.