Paddling Since: 2005
Deckers Video from April 1

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Musta been a big day on deckers. Saw boats driving by all day.
Old 04-02-2007   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
There is a reason that the Jeffco Parks have closed that area to swimming...MANY people have drowned in that same undercut over the years. My uncle lives in Dome Rock (the crazy-grumpy guy on the hill with the guns and Donkeys), and I have been witness to alot of drunk folks.

Word of caution from a 15 yr kayak vetern, if you are a beginner and you run the shoot...be very carefull and I am dead serious.

kayaked56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
We send beginners there all the time and I have never seen any problems. You just trying to keep people out of that area?
Old 04-02-2007   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I am not scaring any one out of that area, the land use issues from the mid 1980's and the crowds that use to surfice there on the weekens are long gone, however the severity of that spot still remains. Many of the drowndings were from young party going-cliff jumping folks, I am not aware of any kayakers that have died. I am simply giving any one that might swim upstream of that spot ample notice of the potential risk.

If you are in the area, need anything, dont feel threatened by my gun totting uncle. He is the only Full time resident of Dome Rock (the small town 4 miles upriver of Waterton). His name is Dave Merrill, with his appearance aside, he can be a very valued help, and one of only a few people with telephone access in the canyon.

Greg Francis aka '56'

.comwww.parkbull.com/archiveAprJun03.html /archiveAprJun03.html

kayaked56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #6

The undercut/underwater cave in there is very nasty. Not easy to end up in if you know what you are doing but scary nonetheless. Everyone, but especially groups with beginners, should be exceedingly cautious. Be safe.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #7

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I am a newbie with a group that was just behind this larger group. I did not see this nasty undercut/cave. Can you give me an idea of where it is?

Thanks, just tryin to learn.
Old 04-03-2007   #8

Golden, Colorado
I wouldn't say that the land use issues from the mid 1980's are gone, at least not if you are talking about kayakers not getting harrassed in that location.

The sherriff out there cited me and my wife for tresspassing there when we stood on a rock above the drop to scout it. He was one of the biggest jerks I've run into in Colorado. He specifically mentioned the fact that drunks have killed themselves there and I said something like "all it takes is a few drunks to ruin it for everyone" and he said something like "and some kayakers too". He can eat the corn out of my shit. And I hope your uncle is not that crazy guy who hauls ass up to people in his old car and then jumps out and screams at them and threatens them. I saw that asshole in action at the confluence by the old hotel yelling at some motorcyclists. If he is going to use super-aggressive behavior like that then he is going to reap what he sows someday.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
I heard that guy was running around like a madman on Sunday. Didnt see him personally. I find the whole scene up there pretty funny.