Decker's run flows in 2013 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2013   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Decker's run flows in 2013

Does anyone know the story behind the terrible flows on Decker's run on South Platte this year. They have been between 50 and 100 CFS for virtually the entire year. Last year was a worse drought year and they were between 200 and 300 for much of the summer. Is this somehow connected to the work they were doing on Cheesman reservoir in recent years?

I've only been boating for 3 years and learned in Deckers area and still like to take out of towners there in duckies given the nice mountainesque feel and easy water.

denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013   #2

Morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
hi denali,

i can't answer why since last year was my first season paddling and i did that run almost exclusively as a noob. was hoping to hit it up many more times this july/aug to practice my roll etc...

if the flows ever come up to 250+, i'm up for it almost any weekend.

steven
sross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
I think the short answer is that Cheesman isn't full as a result of last year's drought and Denver is refilling the Cheese by exchange from Roberts Tunnel (north fork) deliveries through the Roberts tunnel. On really dry years, Denver needs to release water from the Cheese to avoid completely draining Dillon. On wet years, or consecutive average years, Cheese spills or is at least regulated at a near-full level.

Speaking of the North Fork, there are many great Class II sections around Foxton. Foxton is quite manageable for most Class III- boaters if you skip the boulder garden and scout/portage the few Class III rapids. I'd go as far as to say that a rugged rank beginner will be just fine on Foxton (I've taken a few myself and they all had a blast, despite a few swims).
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013   #4

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
I think the short answer is that Cheesman isn't full as a result of last year's drought and Denver is refilling the Cheese by exchange from Roberts Tunnel (north fork) deliveries through the Roberts tunnel. On really dry years, Denver needs to release water from the Cheese to avoid completely draining Dillon. On wet years, or consecutive average years, Cheese spills or is at least regulated at a near-full level.

Speaking of the North Fork, there are many great Class II sections around Foxton. Foxton is quite manageable for most Class III- boaters if you skip the boulder garden and scout/portage the few Class III rapids. I'd go as far as to say that a rugged rank beginner will be just fine on Foxton (I've taken a few myself and they all had a blast, despite a few swims).
Where do you recommend putting in for the Foxton run? I've driven by there a few times and agreed I would skip the boulder garden with new folks. A lot times, I'll take a two person duckie with an out of towner, but was always a bit leery of Foxton assuming it wasn't the best for a two-person duckie (which is not overly wide but still fairly long). Have you ever run Foxton beyond the boulder garden in a duckie?
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #5

I've run it a bunch in a tandem duckie, from below the Boulder Garden down to Dome Rock - though you could run all the way to the confluence if you wanted a longer run - but not much action after Dome Rock.

I think the lowest I've run it in a duckie is about 375. Not sure how much lower than that I'd go for a duckie. Definitely do-able and more water is better. There are quite a few rocks to maneuver around in that 375-475 range (only flows I've done it at), but it's not moving that fast and is pretty low-consequence if you miss a move. Has certainly improved my navigating skills.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
... I seem to remember scouting foxton with not quite enough water and seeing 2 dead end sieve lines in the only rapid I thought was notable. Maybe I'm just a worry wart, but not what I would call appropriate for a "rugged rank beginner". It's been a few years though, memory might not be serving me correctly.
Old 07-09-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Maybe I'm a weinee, but I found Foxton very challenging the 1st time I did it in a ducky and I had some experience by then. I wouldn't bring beginner duckiers on Foxton unless I really didn't like them. I suppose there are long stretches that would work, though.

And back to the original question, is it likely that Deckers will be this low the rest of the season?
xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #8

As DanO said, easy to portage any rapids you don't like the look of. It's all roadside and road scoutable. Or, put in below Dome Rock to the confluence for a more Decker-ish feel.

Maybe when there really isn't enough water to run it, there are some other sieves that come into play - but, only sieve I know of for sure at runnable flows is in the Boulder Garden.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by xena13 View Post
Maybe I'm a weinee, but I found Foxton very challenging the 1st time I did it in a ducky and I had some experience by then. I wouldn't bring beginner duckiers on Foxton unless I really didn't like them. I suppose there are long stretches that would work, though.

And back to the original question, is it likely that Deckers will be this low the rest of the season?

I agree. Foxton isn't that 'friendly' IMHO. I'm sure for more experienced boaters this is a ludicrous statement.

Wish Deckers would flow more--been looking to get on it all year and it's done nothing but maintain flow for the fishies.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #10

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
To answer your question about where to put in below the boulder garden:
Drive down Foxton Road (I think that's the name of it) to the T intersection right at the river. Turn left and immediately park in the turn out on your right (river side of the road - maybe 100' from the intersection). You can put in just above or below the rapid that is right in front of you. The bottom wave in this rapid is sometimes surf-able. There is a put in eddy adjacent to the surf wave, maybe 50' from your car, or you can walk 100' upstream and run the drop. Have fun!
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote