Death on the Little White - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-17-2012   #1

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Death on the Little White

By all accounts a wonderful person, and boater. Hoping details will emerge that we can learn from. Woman dies while kayaking on the Little White Salmon River | The Columbian

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Very sad.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #3

Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
Jenna was an awesome person and boater and she was with a very good crew. Very sad news.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012   #4

Farmington, Utah
Has any more details emerged from the accident?
Old 06-18-2012   #5
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Video of the run

Here is a video of the river. It is a very serious run in a semi-remote canyon. Jennifer Watson was a very skilled paddler, 38 years old from Portland. Paddling with a group of ten she collasped while paddling, CRP performed, unsuccessful, and choppered out. Not sure if you really need more info than that. (heart/stroke/clot)

Old 06-18-2012   #6

Farmington, Utah
I had heard she was swept into a cave. The main reason I am wondering is because I think something can be learned from every accident on the river. Unless she collapsed from something non-kayaking related. My heart goes out to her friends, and family.
Old 06-19-2012   #7
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Spaghetti,
I am going to give you a big Shut the Fuck Up. Maybe you could give it a little more than a few days before you try to dissect this fatality.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #8
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Sorry

FSM,

Sorry. I should have not come off as being so rude about it. When I was newer in the sport I too wanted to know everything about every accident and I read every one of Charlieís AW yearly recounts going back to 1995, minus the last 8-9 years I guess. And, I read stories like Jennaís and now Iím just sad. I feel for her family, maybe just a little differently now that I have started my own.

The reason I was short is that after reading countless write-ups, articles and postings about accidents I come to the realization that they are all sad and tragic and in hindsight itís easy to judge and sayÖ There really isnít that many ways people die in moving water. Water can find a way to take us, weather can take us, exposure can take us, or sometimes our own bodies can fail us. Either we get stuck/pinned/broached, we flush, take trauma to the body, or something happens to us internally (you most likely didnít know itís coming with enough time to guess right).

More often than not the stories I enjoy reading and pursuing for content are the ones about how people beat the odds, pulled through, and stayed to paddle with us another day.
Old 06-19-2012   #9

FSM, I agree with learning from accidents but you seem to be chasing the ambulance a lot. Regardless of how it happened, how she lived her life is way more more important than how she died. Geoff wrote up about her life and it sounds like she was 10 times the badass as most of us on this board. Awesome to see she had seen so many of the world's rivers.

Here is Geoff's tribute:

"It's with a heavy heart that I share this news with the paddling community, and I post it here only because so many of you were touched by her wonderful heart. Jennifer Watson passed away this past weekend on the Little White Salmon in Oregon in a kayaking accident. This post is about Jenna's amazing life and not about the details of the accident, although I'm told that the crew she was with was an amazing group and did everything in their ability.

I'll leave you with a few thoughts about Jennifer, as she and I logged thousands of miles together on land and in water over the years:

From the day Jennifer was on a rafting trip and was inspired to learn to kayak, she was in pursuit of the joys of water, and she chased it from Georgia to Tennessee and North Carolina and on to Idaho and Oregon and Washington, and to every state in between and around the world. She chased it deep into the Grand Canyon and out again and also into lost worlds like the Colca and Cotahuasi canyons of Peru. She chased it through Himalayan gorges in Bhutan and chased it in the mountains of Turkey and Ecuador and Costa Rica. She chased it with a belief in her own strength and she chased it with friends who loved her for that strength. She chased it via helicopter in the dramatic landscape of New Zealand and looked for it among slow murky currents passing by the Bangkok fish markets. She lived with amazing intention and determination, and she shaped her life so she could chase joy. She chased it in the rainbows formed overhead in the showers of waterfalls dripping off a high cliff wall. She chased it through the swims and the pitons, she chased it through friendship and love, and she chased it through easy times and difficult times -- and she chased it always with such a gentle and giving spirit. In the end, I think (like many of you) that I was just lucky to share some of this chase with her, and I know that her smile came not just from the chase of joy, but from her finding that joy. Godspeed and good lines, Jennifer, and I will see you in the next eddy.

To all of her friends, thank you for being such good friends to Jennifer.

Geoff "
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997

Rest in peace, Jennifer.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote