12 year old drowned on the Colorado.

Glenwood youth feared drowned in Colorado River | PostIndependent.com

water logged 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012   #2

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Very sad my heart goes out to all involved. Just another BIG reminder ALWAYS ALWAYS!!!!! Wear your pfd on the river. I see a lot of people not wearing pfd's or improper fitting pfd's. No one is allowed on my boat without a proper fitting pfd. My wife kept unbuckeling the lowest buckle on her pfd I gave her a lecture about it lucky she had it buckled when she swam. Please please be safe on the river and ALWAYS wear your pfd. Be safe Gerry
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #3

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
PFD required by law

This is terribly sad. Everyone, please know, that every person under the age of 13 is required by Colorado law to wear a PFD when in a river. Also, everyone of any age is required to wear a PFD if floating on any single chamber vessel (inner tube, pool floaty, SUP, raft, etc.).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
So very sad. It is hard to convince tubers to wear PFD's and proper footwear but if you know any please try to inform them of the dangers. I really don't think an 11 year old knows the risks so it is up to the parents to ensure their safety and in this case I could see child endangerment resulting in death applying.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Condolences. A very sad situation.

"Witnesses on the river Sunday reported seeing the youngster off his tube and struggling in the water near the South Canyon Bridge, and then seeing him sink below the surface, said Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario."

I have a hard time with statements like this. I wasn't there, and hate to assume, but if there were witnesses someone should have helped.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #6

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Condolences. A very sad situation.

"Witnesses on the river Sunday reported seeing the youngster off his tube and struggling in the water near the South Canyon Bridge, and then seeing him sink below the surface, said Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario."

I have a hard time with statements like this. I wasn't there, and hate to assume, but if there were witnesses someone should have helped.
If they are capable of helping. We don't need more victims if it can be avoided.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #7

Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
When I was training to be a life guard many years ago they stressed the point that it is better to have one victim in the water than two, so if you can't rescue them safely then don't attempt until you can. How many times have you heard of the rescuer drowning as well? I don't know the situation, but maybe they couldn't help because most people would do all they could to save someone.

To me the saddest part about most of the drownings I've read about this year is they could have been prevented if the victim was wearing a PFD.
Old 07-04-2012   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We're talking about moving flatwater here. If I had witnessed someone in distress and had a pfd on I would not hesitate to help. I do understand the hazards involved, but you can assist without direct physical contact.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #9

Silt, Colorado
so..the step dad puts a 12 year old..in a tube...no pfd..the kid does not know how to swim..and he drowns. Is this not child abuse?
riverscum2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #10

The Big Smoke, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.soutiere View Post
Very sad my heart goes out to all involved. Just another BIG reminder ALWAYS ALWAYS!!!!! Wear your pfd on the river. I see a lot of people not wearing pfd's or improper fitting pfd's. No one is allowed on my boat without a proper fitting pfd. My wife kept unbuckeling the lowest buckle on her pfd I gave her a lecture about it lucky she had it buckled when she swam. Please please be safe on the river and ALWAYS wear your pfd. Be safe Gerry
Gerry, have your wife read this story. After a flip, the other rafters were able to pull the victims life vest off him while trying to help/rescue, which no doubt took the mans ability to float in this stretch of river away from him.
Everett councilman dies in Green River rafting accident | www.kirotv.com
constructeur is offline   Reply With Quote