Death on the Ark near BV - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-06-2007   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Death on the Ark near BV

I have this prelim info from KVOR in Colorado Springs

News Radio 740 KVOR

A RAFTING ACCIDENT THURSDAY IN CHAFFEE COUNTY HAS CLAIMED THE LIFE OF AT LEAST ONE PERSON. SEVERAL PEOPLE WERE THROWN FROM THE RAFT JUST BEFORE NOON THURSDAY ON THE ARKANSAS RIVER NORTH OF BUENA VISTA. TWO PEOPLE WERE RESCUED, BUT ONE DID NOT SURVIVE. THE VICTIM'S NAME HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED.

I am looking for any other information people may have heard, links etc., as I report these to AW.

I'm just guessing, but this would be Numbers or Fractions, if the report of "North of Buena Vista" is accurate.

It always concerns me that the Chaffee County Times doesn't have this info. That is in all liklihood because they're small and update infrequently. But I wish they were more reliable on these matters...

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007   #2

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I heard about this last night. It was Numbers. Very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04 View Post
I have this prelim info from KVOR in Colorado Springs

News Radio 740 KVOR

A RAFTING ACCIDENT THURSDAY IN CHAFFEE COUNTY HAS CLAIMED THE LIFE OF AT LEAST ONE PERSON. SEVERAL PEOPLE WERE THROWN FROM THE RAFT JUST BEFORE NOON THURSDAY ON THE ARKANSAS RIVER NORTH OF BUENA VISTA. TWO PEOPLE WERE RESCUED, BUT ONE DID NOT SURVIVE. THE VICTIM'S NAME HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED.

I am looking for any other information people may have heard, links etc., as I report these to AW.

I'm just guessing, but this would be Numbers or Fractions, if the report of "North of Buena Vista" is accurate.

It always concerns me that the Chaffee County Times doesn't have this info. That is in all liklihood because they're small and update infrequently. But I wish they were more reliable on these matters...
akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
The Pueblo Chieftain Online - Pueblo, Colorado U.S.A
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007   #4

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
condolences to the family, frineds and ofcourse the guides. It is a hard situtation for everyone involved. Big props to the guides from other companies who I heard helped.
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #5
esp

BV, Colorado
If anyone hears any additional info I would appreciate knowing about it.

I was one of the EMTs that responded to the call. One of the two survivors was actually down for about 45 min to an hour. She received good CPR for that duration. About half way to Salida she had a pulse and began to breathe on her own. Once we got her to the hospital she also had a decent blood pressure. She, however, was still unresponsive. They flew her to Denver, and that is the last of what I know.

Thought and prayers are with her and her family for a full recovery.

Ed
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #6

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Ed, sorry you had to be involved in the incident, and my condolences to the rest involved and who lost a loved one. This is a great object lesson - 45-60 minutes down, and then she came back with a pulse. Don't give up!! Good work, Ed.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #7

It was my family on the river. The most accurate article i have been able to find is http://www.themountainmail.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=11358&SectionID=4&SubS ectionID=&S=1, other than that i can tell you that Bea, the woman that was taken to denver, did not make it. she died around 8:30 Friday night, her daughter (the other one taken to the hospital in salida) is doing fine, and so is everyone else that was on the trip.

Ed, thank you for everything that you did, we all greatly appreciate it.

We have heard that two other people died earlier in the day, also on the numbers section of the river, and with the same guide company. If anyone knows anything about this, i would appreciate anything you know.

Thank you,

Andrea
aronaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #8

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
"45-50 minutes down" = brain death and other complications which she will most likely not be able to beat. Not a good situation for the family or the victim. She obviously has a strong ticker. Reviving someone after an hour is pretty rare.

my condolences
Kent
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #9

Andrea, my condolences.

I don't think there were other deaths on the same day.

4 commercial deaths on the Ark is too high for a season. One of those was a guy with a heart condition who wasn't in condition to swim rapids, so I wouldn't pin that on the outfitters. But, the other three is still too much. What is going on?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #10
esp

BV, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
"45-50 minutes down" = brain death and other complications which she will most likely not be able to beat. Not a good situation for the family or the victim. She obviously has a strong ticker. Reviving someone after an hour is pretty rare.

my condolences
Kent
Drownings and lighting strikes are the two best scenarios to hope for a revival. CPR was being given for that 45-60 min. O2 was getting to her brain during that time. Yes it is rare, but she was also young and in good shape, again increasing the odds.

Recent changes in how CPR is given has also increased the odds. Yes, it is rare, but this was one of those situations where you continue to do all you can.
esp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark