DEATH of the river, who's participating, whos river/community is next? Updated Poll! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

View Poll Results: Where are you from and what do you think about Glade and the NISP?
I live in the Poudre area and I am mad as hell! 9 30.00%
I live in the Poudre area and I could care less! 1 3.33%
I live in the community (Erie, Longmont, S. Loveland) that will benefit from glade and I am mad as hell! 2 6.67%
I live in the community (Erie, Longmont, S. Loveland) that will benefit from glade and I can't wait to defecate into a bowl fresh Poudre water! 1 3.33%
I live in a galaxy far far away, and if I knew Glade would proceed, I would be forced to aim the Death Star at Earth and blow you up. 17 56.67%
I am from a galaxy far far away, and I think we should dam the entire cosmos, rendering the universe one large pool. 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2008   #1
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
DEATH of the river, who's participating, whos river/community is next? Updated Poll!

Sorry for any confusion. It occurred to several of us that expanding the poll to folks that would neither be benefited or impacted by Glade because they live in another state, or watershed but still have an opinion they would like to voice. Here is the link to the previous thread with old poll if you want to see that progression.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tml#post104241

As for they any other thoughts, I want to hear them, I have been mulling over my thoughts regarding the effort to stave-off the Glade development, but my thoughts are only as good as yours and only become better when considering the full range of thinking regarding the issue. so good people,

fire away...

jonas_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008   #2
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Anyone, anyone? c'mon, I know you all have an opinion! Oh, happy fourth by the way!
Old 07-04-2008   #3

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Well this is just crazy. Has this been in the news at all. When do they plan on doing this? Lets Start our own monkey wrench gang!
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008   #4
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograft83 View Post
Well this is just crazy. Has this been in the news at all. When do they plan on doing this? Lets Start our own monkey wrench gang!
Marco wrote the following in the subsequent thread, I think he has a good feel for the situation, but yeah, it has largely been absent in the mainstream news reporting for the region.

Here's what Marco wrote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I'm from Ft. Collins and attended the hearing in Greely. It's sad that the whole NISP process has been so lopsided- gotta pull those last few unclaimed acre feet out of the Poudre; too hell with water quality, riparian environment and recreation on the Poudre in Ft. Collins. The whole process is set up so that the public hearings are verbal war zones.

Why can't the water districts that need the water and Army Corps of Engineers work together with ditch owners and current water right holders, environmentalists and us recreation types and come up with a plan that puts water BACK INTO the Poudre and create more storage on the South Platte?

- The 50cfs minimum flow guarantee is laughable.
- By the time the whole project is online the communities benefiting from the water will already need more water than the project provides
- The water rights which would be used to fill Glade only come into effect for the three highest years out of every ten in the historical study. However, as I understand it, the historical data does not include data since 2000, during which time there have not been high enough flows for the water right to come into effect. So if Glade was built and ready to go in 2000, it would still be sitting empty now.

Click here and scroll down to NISP (and ignore the Certificate Exception if you get one) to read the draft EIS. OK- so it's too big- but at least peruse the executive summary and submit comments:
https://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/html/od-tl/eis-info.htm

Submit comments by July 31 to:

Mr. Chandler J. Peter
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Denver Regulatory Office
9307 South Wadsworth Blvd.
Littleton, CO 80128-6901
Fax: (303) 979-0602
Email: [email protected]
As for the monkey wrench idea, I am all down with, "up with spring down with empire", but destructive and illegal activities are not the way to go, even if your name is Rudolph the Red
Old 07-05-2008   #5

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Youtube has info on this shit first time i have seen a clip on this bull shit. Look it up on youtube cause i do not know how to post the site but the name is "the truth about glade reservoirand the poudre river" It is alot of one sided bull shit in my mind
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #6
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Well, suffice it to say with a whopping 17 responses to the poll there is a unanimous sense of frustration and anger toward Glade, local and from afar. There were no responses from the folks who live in the area that Glade will benefit. I will keep the poll going for a couple of more weeks.

So where do we go from here? I know people have an opinion, and not stating an opinion is every bit the same as stating one, complacency and idleness are what will make Glade happen, period!
Old 07-10-2008   #7
JJH

Jonas,
Thanks for bringing this back to the surface and with the poll. I think most of us locals have already written on this topic for the last few months on here. You should pull up the last thread and know that this community is not happy with the potential of this res. Most of us were at the hearings and have written letters.

Do you have any other suggestions of actions that can be taken?
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #8

Yeah. I was under the impression that once the EIS made it out, it was a done deal (no matter how shitty the EIS was). Is there more to it? Is it still feasably possible to stop this?

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #9

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Count and everyone for that matter,

Its not done until its done. Comments sent to the Corps contact have a major impact to the outcome and are required to be address. Be sure to get those in by the extension deadline. However comments such as,

- i feel the project is bad, will kill the river, etc... and we need to conserve more etc...

do not have much impact at this stage. At this stage comments need to address specific shortcomings of the DEIS in regards to technical merit, analysis, and NEPA guidelines.
Old 07-10-2008   #10
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
Jonas,
Thanks for bringing this back to the surface and with the poll. I think most of us locals have already written on this topic for the last few months on here. You should pull up the last thread and know that this community is not happy with the potential of this res. Most of us were at the hearings and have written letters.

Do you have any other suggestions of actions that can be taken?
I defer to Lief's comment

I know the boating community is pretty engaged, I am promoting a little rabble rousing, because this thing is not done! What more, I started this thread based on my interaction with a paddler from Erie, and he said he knew nothing of the NISP/Glade. It got me to thinking, do people who live in the communities that are benefiting from Glade know it is going to degrade our community. I posit that a person that lives there will have more of an impact on what happens here, than us. Remember, the citizens of Erie, Longmont, etc. instigated this by wanting more development. Perhaps they are unaware of the impact this project is going to have on our community. So maybe we need to inform them. Take out local newspaper and radio ads addressing the concerns.

Mark Easter told me that they had an informational meeting on Glade down at a school in the Erie area, only 5 people showed up, and the most interest in the audience came from the janitor who was just walking by. Clearly the message is not getting out.

The Two Forks project on the South Platte was stopped because of public outcry and education from around the state, not just the Deckers area. That is what I am talking...

P.S. Lief, saw you guys yesterday on the river, your girl's got mad skills in Pineview, that was fun to watch!