Death of a river, who's participating, who's river is next? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

View Poll Results: Do you know about Glade (and the NISP) and where are you from?
I am from the Poudre area and I am mad as hell. 15 100.00%
I am from the Poudre area and I don't care. 0 0%
I am from the area benefitting (Longmont, S. Loveland, Erie) from Glade and I am mad as hell 0 0%
I am from the area benefitting (Longmont, S. Loveland, Erie) from Glade and can't wait to take a deuce in the poudre's water in my home. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2008   #1
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Death of a river, who's participating, who's river is next?

So I have been largely out of the foray and a mere observer (mostly watching the panels and discussions on television) of the Glade (NISP) controversy here in Northern Colorado. I was paddling with a fellow that asked to join our group for a quick run down the Poudre. Well, we got to talking and I asked where he lives, he responded, "Erie".

Well as you may all know, Erie is the principle receiver of the water that is going to dramatically reduce flows in the lower Poudre. So I asked him, "What say you about the Glade reservoir project that is going to dramatically reduce the flow of water below the canyon mouth?" He said. "I know nothing about it."

So it got me to thinking about all of this brew-ha-ha regarding conserving water, saving rivers, restoring, and rehabilitating siphoned, neglected, and altered stream channels, and I thought who knows, and who cares?

So here it goes buzz community who amongst you is from places Glade will benefit, who amongst you will Glade detract. If you you live in FoCo, and think Glade won't have an effect, I am curious what you think and why?

Fire away!

jonas_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008   #2

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Hi Jonas, You know exactly where I am from and what I think about it. I miss your beard and musk.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #3
Have paddled a Quest

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I'm from Ft. Collins and attended the hearing in Greely. It's sad that the whole NISP process has been so lopsided- gotta pull those last few unclaimed acre feet out of the Poudre; too hell with water quality, riparian environment and recreation on the Poudre in Ft. Collins. The whole process is set up so that the public hearings are verbal war zones.

Why can't the water districts that need the water and Army Corps of Engineers work together with ditch owners and current water right holders, environmentalists and us recreation types and come up with a plan that puts water BACK INTO the Poudre and create more storage on the South Platte?

- The 50cfs minimum flow guarantee is laughable.
- By the time the whole project is online the communities benefiting from the water will already need more water than the project provides
- The water rights which would be used to fill Glade only come into effect for the three highest years out of every ten in the historical study. However, as I understand it, the historical data does not include data since 2000, during which time there have not been high enough flows for the water right to come into effect. So if Glade was built and ready to go in 2000, it would still be sitting empty now.

Click here and scroll down to NISP (and ignore the Certificate Exception if you get one) to read the draft EIS. OK- so it's too big- but at least peruse the executive summary and submit comments:
https://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/html/od-tl/eis-info.htm

Submit comments by July 31 to:

Mr. Chandler J. Peter
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Denver Regulatory Office
9307 South Wadsworth Blvd.
Littleton, CO 80128-6901
Fax: (303) 979-0602
Email: [email protected]
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Regardless of what we all think as a boating community it is going to be difficult for us to hold legal power over NISP and prevent the dam. The only hope that we have as a boating community and as a community in general to save the poudre is public involvement and knowledge. The more people who know about Glade and what could happen the better for us. When there are boater even from Erie who have not even heard about Glade, that is bad news. We need to as a community get the word out about Glade and tell eveyone we know. Only through pulic outcry and general public knowledge can we keep the lifeline of the Poudre running.
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
= puts water BACK INTO the Poudre and create more storage on the South Platte?

I grew up in Fort Collins and now live in Highlands Ranch. I am saddened by Glade reservoir and the effects it will have on the river. I think the bottom line is that people will continue to move to Colorado, and water will still be needed regardless of this project or any other project. Sooner or later a renewable source of water will have to be imported to the Front Range in order to sustain the growth, and to do that you will need storage space, whether that happens on the Poudre, or on the South Platte it will have to happen. I curious to know how you would feel about Glade Reservoir it was built to store water that was piped from farms in sterling who had retired their water rights and had them converted to municipal use? What if it was to store water piped over from the Yampa, or from Flaming Gorge? These are all viable options that municipalities are looking into for the future. Would it change your opinion if the reservoir was out on the plains?

I've posed a lot of questions here, and not many answers. I think the answer lies in a connection to the place. Most of the people who will benefit from this reservoir live on the plains and haven't even seen the area that will be affected. So of course they will be okay with the plan. I would probably be okay with it if it was a reservoir out on the plains. So you have to find some way to get people to connect with place, and in todays world of chain a topia (i.e. highlands ranch), that seems very hard to do. Again, I fail to come up with answers, only more questions.
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #6
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
Hi Jonas, You know exactly where I am from and what I think about it. I miss your beard and musk.
Nice Jacobi, showing the love. Any booty beers consumed this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleboater5.13 View Post
Regardless of what we all think as a boating community it is going to be difficult for us to hold legal power over NISP and prevent the dam. The only hope that we have as a boating community and as a community in general to save the poudre is public involvement and knowledge. The more people who know about Glade and what could happen the better for us. When there are boater even from Erie who have not even heard about Glade, that is bad news. We need to as a community get the word out about Glade and tell eveyone we know. Only through pulic outcry and general public knowledge can we keep the lifeline of the Poudre running.
That is what I am talking about! But did you notice the thread stats? 577 views, and only 13 votes, all of which are folks from the Poudre area that don't care for the Glade project. So this is at the heart of the question I am putting out there. Who knows about it? Where are they from. I wish I could've put a option for "I live in east Jesus, and I am mad as hell at the thought of Glade happening." Maybe that is the majority of the 577 hits, people whom they feel Glade is not their issue to voice an opinion on. Wrong! I remember growing up in Colo. Spgs. and the serious proposal for the two forks project to dam the South Platte. It got killed because people from around the state, and even out of state, took issue with it.

The issue seems to not have reached critical mass here. The problem is, it is getting too late to do something about it. I spoke with Mark Easter (Save the Poudre Coalition) passing him in front of Avo's the other day about informational sessions in these communities that will benefit from Glade and inform them of how it will detract from our community. He said they did that, but only 5 people showed-up, and a janitor that happened to be passing in the hallway was the only person who took a real interest in what was being said.

Any thoughts...
Old 07-03-2008   #7

B.F.E., Wyoming
If you want results make a part of the poll that says your from out of the area but also concerned/ not concerned
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #8
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
If you want results make a part of the poll that says your from out of the area but also concerned/ not concerned
That is what I was thinking... thanks!
Old 07-03-2008   #9
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Moving the Thread, New POLL!

Here's the new thread, I hope this sheds more light on folks opinions with the issue...

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ext-20192.html