Death of a Clown - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-21-2009   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Death of a Clown

Looks like the Arkansas might be safe for a while:

Jeanne-Claude, Artist Who Created 'Over The River' Project In Colorado Dies; Work To Continue In Colorado

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Interesting title and says more about you than her. I met her down at the river and talked to her for a bit. She was genuine and nice. Whether you liked her work or not, she was a very nice lady. Sad to hear about this.
Old 11-21-2009   #3

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Interesting title and says more about you than her. I met her down at the river and talked to her for a bit. She was genuine and nice. Whether you liked her work or not, she was a very nice lady. Sad to hear about this.
I agree. My wife and I visited with her for a few minutes over lunch one day in Salida. She seemed like a decent person and made my little boy smile. I'm definitely not a big fan of the work but "clown" is off base at best. Different strokes for different folks Demo, isn't that what you liberals are all about?
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Sad deal. I'm boating the Ark today and I look forward to seeing the finished work someday.

Rest in Peace.
Old 11-21-2009   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The finished work is a giant waste of resources to decorate a wild place like it's their Manhattan or Paris apartment. The Arkansas is a beautiful place and it doesn't need curtains from some eclectic artistic socialites. I'm hoping that Cristo gives up after this.

250,000 people die each day, but most of them weren't planning covering a river valley with fabric. I'm not sad. Nice or not, who gives a shit?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I'll keep that in mind when I'm floating past the rebar, busted up concrete, and endless lines of graffiti painted box cars today. Maybe I can hear the water in between the cars and diesel trucks whizzing by on Highway 50.
Old 11-21-2009   #7

timbuktu, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
The finished work is a giant waste of resources to decorate a wild place like it's their Manhattan or Paris apartment. The Arkansas is a beautiful place and it doesn't need curtains from some eclectic artistic socialites. I'm hoping that Cristo gives up after this.

250,000 people die each day, but most of them weren't planning covering a river valley with fabric. I'm not sad. Nice or not, who gives a shit?

Waste of resources? The artist was paying for all of the cost's. Not a dime of public funds are going to be used. The damn thing will only be up for two weeks and would draw people from all over the world. The resulting tourism, if the project is finished, will inject a significant amount of money into local economy.

I don't get installation art period. I'm not at all opposed to people spending money in the Ark Valley. In case you haven't noticed, the place could use a little cash injection.
Old 11-21-2009   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The Arkansas River Valley is not a park or a museum, and yes it sucks that there is a lot of trash in our river corridors, but allowing some Eastern socialite artists the access to decorate wild places in the Rocky Mountain west is stupid. Sure, maybe a few rich Californians will stop by Jan's or Bongo Billy's and spend a few bucks on their way to see the "art," but don't let the record fool you, people saw this guys art in Central Park in such droves because it's Central Park. There won't be near as much cash coming into Chaffee.

Yahweh did a pretty good job decorating the mountains of Colorado. Improvement is not necessary. Besides, what happens when the fabric ends up in the river?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #9

timbuktu, Colorado
Like I said Randaddy, the "art" certainly isn't my cup of tea. I still don't get your staunch opposition. It's not exactly a pristine stretch of river. I'd be right there with you if you were talking about the Grand, The Gorge or even something like Ruby Horsethief. They had to pay for an extensive impact study and I've read the provisions for orderly clean-up which were all very well thought out.

There are people that would prefer that they not have to look at us float by on the river "Yahweh" created perfectly. But we have the freedom to use the resource as we please for the most part. Your freedom to be you must include everybody else's freedom to be who they would like to be.

Why am I wasting my time arguing a liberals right to be a liberal? I'm out of here, it's Saturday dammit!
Old 11-21-2009   #10

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hmmm, this liberal is no fan of Christo's and/or Jean Claude's art, but I don't celebrate anyone's death. Agreeing with Yarm and Theo is not my standard modus operandi, but in this case I do.