Dead tuber in westwater - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2007   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Dead tuber in westwater

I can't even comprehend.

Salt Lake Tribune - Rafter's body found

This ought to get a good tuber v the world debate going again.

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007   #2

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Current Score:
World - 1
Tuber - 0

As a consolation prize the tuber received the ever sought after Darwin Award.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #3

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Show some respect dude. Really not that funny when someone dies. I mean yes probrably a stupid idea, but no need to disrespect with a lame attmept at humor. Imagine if it was your child, dad or brother. How would you feel if another buzzard posted the same thing.

Kent
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I'm all for being sympathetic to loved ones when someone dies, and this is no exception.

But damn that was funny. It might not have been as funny if it wasn't the first reply in the thread.

There's no law that says we can't have a sense of humor about tragedy; I've been through some in my life. Gallows humor was something that helped me cope a great deal.

We're still alive. We can laugh.
A prayer might not be a bad idea afterward, but we can laugh.

Helio
Old 07-11-2007   #5

I laughed.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #6

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
Show some respect dude. Really not that funny when someone dies. I mean yes probrably a stupid idea, but no need to disrespect with a lame attmept at humor. Imagine if it was your child, dad or brother. How would you feel if another buzzard posted the same thing.

Kent
Sorry to have offended anyone. If it was my child, dad or brother yes I would be sad and I would miss them, but it wouldn't change that they were acting like a dumb ass.

My condolences to those who loved him, may his memory and sense of adventure live on in you and may his death bring wisdom.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Here is a serious question..............what would you do if you saw this guy floating past your camp????

Would you give chase? Maybe run safety for him to see he made it out alive? Drink a beer in his honor as he floats off into the sunset?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
Dude, why stop him? He's going to town!
Old 07-11-2007   #9

I would think a tuber with a PFD and thermal gear would have a pretty good chance, especially at the current flow of 3500. The pool drop nature let's you catch your breath. It would probably be a better idea to be in the water and hold on to your tube with both arms than to ride it. But, perhaps Funnel Falls will separate you from your tube no mater what you do.

As for what you would do if this dumb shit floats by your party, yea, you got to chase him or give him a ride in your raft. It really, really sucks, but you have no choice. Perhaps the rangers will take pitty on you and give you another permit.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Wow. I feel bad for the guy, but I feel more sorry for the poor people that came across his body on their otherwise glorious raft trip. Can you imagine how terrible it would be to have to deal with a drowning, just because someone else made an incredible terrible & totally avoidable decision?

I was there this past weekend and had a fantastic time, as usual. Our group took turns going through little D on Paco Pads (with PFDs, of course) and even though air temps were in the high 90's & water temps were in the mid-70's, you wouldn't want to be swimming for too long before you'd get to shivering just a bit. The level was around 4000, which meant that there were more rocks showing than usual. He probably drowned sometime Friday afternoon or Saturday, which means I passed right by him sometime over the weekend. It makes me a little sick, really - I've lost close friends to kayaking accidents, but I've fortunately never had to cope with a body recovery; nor do I ever want to. I can imagine coming through Skull & seeing this guy floating in the Room of Doom, and my ass jumping into the water to try to rescue him (not knowing how long he's been in the water). It's not hard to see how his stupidity could have put someone at real risk.

The thing that irks me the most is that the article referred to this guy as a 'rafter'. I can't imagine that he put in at Loma and floated through the up-canyon winds for days. He must have launched from the WW Ranger Station, which means he ignored a ton of obvious signs & clues that his craft was not allowed and that permission is required to float this stretch. This is akin to cleaning your loaded guns while drunk.

I remember a number of years ago there was a guy that jumped off a pickup and off a bridge in Evergreen into Bear Creek, and after telling his buddies to "meet him in Morrison". Just zero concept of respect for moving water.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote