Dead bear - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2012   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Dead bear

A few days before our Lodore trip I saw this article:

Ranger kills bear at Dinosaur National Monument | ksl.com

About a bear being shot by a ranger at Lodore put in.

Two days into our trip I come across this:

At first I thought it was a dead cow, but then closer inspections revealed it being a bear.

Found him right at the bottom of this Unnamed rapid in the eddy Google Maps

The sighting has been reported to the rangers.

Alex

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012   #2

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
dead bears tell no tales
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
did the ranger put a pistol in its paw at least?
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012   #4

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Too bad, a fed bear is a dead bear. My backyard river is the Rogue and it is black bear heaven. They have better handle on the bear problems since they put in electric fence exclosures for coolers. Every once in a while a bear will get used to being shocked and has to be put down but over all it works very well. They might need to look at this solution for other rivers, it is inexpensive but takes a bit of work for the FS or BLM to set up intially, once it is up it is good for the summer. The batteries can last all summer. We take a portable unit and put wire ribbon around our rafts in bear country, the local feed stores have some great portable units these days very easy to pack. We will be taking it to MT this summer. We used it on a Tatshenshini trip and had no issues with Griz.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #5

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers2run View Post
Too bad, a fed bear is a dead bear. My backyard river is the Rogue and it is black bear heaven. They have better handle on the bear problems since they put in electric fence exclosures for coolers. Every once in a while a bear will get used to being shocked and has to be put down but over all it works very well. They might need to look at this solution for other rivers, it is inexpensive but takes a bit of work for the FS or BLM to set up intially, once it is up it is good for the summer. The batteries can last all summer. We take a portable unit and put wire ribbon around our rafts in bear country, the local feed stores have some great portable units these days very easy to pack. We will be taking it to MT this summer. We used it on a Tatshenshini trip and had no issues with Griz.
Uhh, did you see the part of the article where it talks about bears that are used to the shocks and have become humanized?
bh5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #6

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Which article are you referring to? Yes it happens, but over all it works well. No question some bears need to be put down.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
That's probably what the bears think about humans.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #8

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers2run View Post
Which article are you referring to? Yes it happens, but over all it works well. No question some bears need to be put down.
Oh, my bad, it was a separate article than the one than the KSL one. I read three or four different ones this morning about bear control. I thought the KSL one discussed that they had some bears that had "learned" to deal with the shock of the electric fence.
bh5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #9

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
The best bear control/ deterrent: DOGS!
I've never had any issue when my 95# lab is with me. Stop killing the bears! Use a natural deterrent. Utah and Colorado have to get their head out of their ass and allow dogs.
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #10

Summit County, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmusher View Post
The best bear control/ deterrent: DOGS!
I've never had any issue when my 95# lab is with me. Stop killing the bears! Use a natural deterrent. Utah and Colorado have to get their head out of their ass and allow dogs.
Amen! Our chocolate lab saved my husband's life during a bear encounter while he was on a solo Deso trip three years ago. We would always get our Deso permits after they allowed dogs. Now that they don't allow dogs, we don't feel comfortable doing it without her. Very sad.
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote