Day Run On The Salt River For Newer Kayakers - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-06-2012   #1

Phoenix, Arizona
Day Run On The Salt River For Newer Kayakers

We bought a couple of Tomcat Tandem IK and have been out on the lake a couple of times to practice. Kayaking on the lake is very boring. We are confident in manuevering the kayak on the lake. We are from Phoenix and we were going to try and run the Salt River, the day use permit section tomorrow. We will have two adults and two 13 year olds. With the current flows will this be too dangerous for us or will we be fine? We have no issues portaging around some areas if need be.

I would appreciate your honest feedback.

bgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012   #2

IMHO, it is dangerous for Newbies to be on any stretch of river without experienced companions. I would suggest hiring a guide or trying to hook up with someone with experience that can show you the ropes.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
The water will drop to the 500's by the weekend. This is a sketchy level in some of the day stretch rapids even for the commercial guides that work down there. I wouldn't do it. I would look at running the Verde from White Bridge to Beasly Flat. Much more forgiving....... Good luck!
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012   #4

Scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
The day run on the Salt is not that hard at 500 cfs if you have whitewater experience. The problem is you are much closer to the rocks at lower flows so if you swim (which you probably will) the chances of injury is higher. Being in a tandem IK, the chance of wrapping it on a rock is also pretty high. Do you know how to swim in whitewater? Do you know about foot entrapment? You can portage most of the rapids but I would leave the kids at home and run the river first with someone who knows it. Look up Monsoon Warriors on Yahoo. You can post something there to find someone from Phoenix. Play in the rapid on the Lower Salt above the bridge, then try the Verde river in Camp Verde from the White Bridge to Beasley Flat. Then the upper Salt. Just my opinion.
Dave
dsmoake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #5

Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for the advice, we will do the Verde river instead. Is there a better time to do the Salt, when conditions are the easiest? Would you still have to go with someone in the easiest of conditions?
bgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
Is there a better time to do the Salt, when conditions are the easiest? Would you still have to go with someone in the easiest of conditions?[/QUOTE]

1. Yes when it is about 800 to 1000 cfs.

2. Yes, I would have someone go with. If you don't know the water well, or how to read it, the Salt can be deceiving enough to get you in trouble.

The Verde will be perfect.....
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #7
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Fantastic call on the verde- You'll have a blast. And if you're in PHX then you're close to the Salt where people tube below the dam in the summer- any weekday morning early on that stretch is something more fun than the lake....and close too!
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote