Danville Kentucky??boating? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-20-2005   #1

Danville Kentucky??boating?

Thinking about moving to Danville Kentucky for school, never been to Kentucky. Does anybody know about Danville and if there if good boating close to there?? Is Danville a good town..any hotties ??thanks for the info.......

wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2005   #2

KY is actually a really beautiful state. Especially the southeast portion of the state around the Cumberland River. You wouldn't be too far from that area in Danville. Maybe an hour or so. This area has the best options for kayaking. Other areas would be the Red River Gorge and I believe the Dix River is right in Danville...although I can't speak of the boating on the Dix.

KY gets cold and gray in the winter but there's no snow to speak to ski on for hundreds of miles. The summers are very hot and humid.

The people in KY tend to be simple and close minded. Be prepared to deal with a fair share of red necks who bleed blue. But there are Red Necks everywhere.

Danville is a very small town, but it's an educated town and Centre College is a really good school. You will not be disappointed with your education. I dated a girl who went there and she was a hottie. But, Centre is an academic school. If you want to be around a bunch of hotties then UK in Lex is the place. You'll be about 45 minutes away from there.

I used to live in KY, but once I moved to CO I never looked back.

JN
johnnewman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #3

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I grew up spending summers in the area on my grandparents' farm. I do not recall seeing whitewater in the immediate vicinity. Their farm was on a dammed section of the Dix River called Harrington Lake. Lots of great water skiing, fishing and that kind of stuff out there.

I just looked on AW's site and didn't see anything about the Dix there. I don't recall it being anything except flatwater, but it has been years ago since I was there, and I wasn't a boater then.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2005   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
Try this book for more info:

http://www.menasharidge.com/ck_kentucky_5ed.htm

By the way, I don't think it is as Redneck as people make KY out to be. I think most of it is generally a combination of the midwest meets the south. There are lots of very beautiful horse farms, and cool little towns. I think it IS hillbilly country in the parts that border the Appalachians, however.
Old 10-20-2005   #5

Bugtussle, Kentucky
I'm from Kentucky, more hot women than anywhere in the lower 48. Maybe its inbreeding, or the water. Anyway...

Danville is boring (for boating, although Centre College has some hotties), but if you like creeks check out Madison County (Richmond), a bit east of where you'll be. Still exploring to do out there for some 1st D's.
Dix is flat, but good fishing.

Big South Fork was mentioned (world class class II-IV), the Upper Red River in the Red River Gorge is a beautiful class III run.
New and Clear Fork in Tennessee are nice, they form the Big South Fork just south of the KY border. You won't be disappointed in the RRG or the BSF.
Elkhorn Creek in Franklin County is a great class III run, and Benson Creek can be fun after a good rain. Both close to Danville.

Russell Fork and lots of other Appalachian runs 3-4 hours east of Danville.

For nightlife hit Lexington or Louisville. Or Richmond if you just need to get laid. Glad to give you more info, let me know. Beautiful country, and the people are genuinly very friendly. Not all, but most. Like everywhere else I suppose. I have good friends in Richmond, Lexington and Frankfort, they don't boat but they can show you a good time if you need a tour.

Couple of sites to check out...

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/state/KY/

http://www.surfbwa.org/

Get this guide...5th edition is the latest I think...

http://www.menasharidge.com/ck_st_ky.htm
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #6

Eagle County, Colorado
I was fishing on my Uncle's farm on the Elkhorn Creek a few months ago when I went back for a funeral. Where is the class III? I was near Midway, KY. Lots of smallmouth and lots of Indian artifacts on their farm near the creek, too.
Old 10-20-2005   #7

Eagle County, Colorado
I was fishing on my Uncle's farm on the Elkhorn Creek a few months ago when I went back for a funeral. Where is the class III? I was near Midway, KY. Lots of smallmouth and lots of Indian artifacts on their farm near the creek, too.
Old 10-20-2005   #8

Bugtussle, Kentucky
WhiteLightening -

The class III, when the creek is up, is on the main fork. Put in is at the Forks of Elkhorn outside of Frankfort, and the standard run is about 7 miles down to Knights Bridge. The land here has been purchased by AW, and Canoe Kentucky is located nearby for shuttles and such.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/jo...2000_1_025.jpg

Some of the best smallmouth bass fishing in the southest is on the main fork of Elkhorn Creek. I've been hitting it annually for the past 21 years.
Thats cool you know the area, I havent met too many folks from KY out here.

Go Big Blue
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #9

I don't think it is as Redneck as people make KY out to be. Wrote WL

Maybe it was just where I was living....Ashland. A small dying town in Eastern KY that exists because of Oil and Steel. I believe it's still the largest oil refinery east of the MS. My dad was an oil man and I was a skateboard punk at the time. Talk about out of place.

Funny how KY folks are. Most of the cool kids don't live there anymore.
I guess I just prefer a more progressive living environment.

JN
Old 10-21-2005   #10

A couple other things about KY if you happen to find yourself there.

Great Whiskey. I'm not talking about just any whiskey. There is no substitute for Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Although all bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is bourbon. By law, to be called a straight bourbon whiskey, the mash bill must contain at least 51 percent corn, be distilled at no more than 160 proof and aged in new, charred oak barrels for a minimum of two years. My Favorite is Maker's Mark. Knob Creek, Booker's, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Woodford Reserve are good sippers as well. But really that just scratches the surface. There are so many distillers in KY you could drink a different bottle everyday for a year and still not drink them all. You'd be a slurry stumbling drunk though.

Horse racing. You'll be right in the heart of it. Most folks are familar with Churchill Downs in Louisville because of the Derby. But really the derby is just a one day Mardi Gras KY style....at least in the infield. Costumes, big hats, RV's, chicks flashing their tits for beads....the whole drill. If you want an authentic horse race experience go to Keeneland outside of Lex. It's the real deal.

And finally if you're into celebrating 4:20 KY is a great place. Marijuana is the #1 cash crop and the states production is second only the CA. There are huge fields just full of organic skunky goodness! Umm Kentucky Green Bud.

KY - Bourbon, Babes and Buds

JN