Damon Miller RIP - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-21-2006   #1

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Damon Miller RIP

Damon--who was Russell Kelly's best bud and boating partner on many expeditions and 1st descents, peru guru, and recently the boyfriend of Russell's ex Annie Q [who many of you may have met; an awesome person and boater]--was killed last night in utah while riding his motorcycle back to idaho from mexico where he had visited his mother, Annie, and Annie's mom. details are few as of now. this is beyond tragic. Love and support to Annie and his friends and family.

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006   #2

Say it ain't so. I just can't believe it. Damon was one of those paddlers you never heard of who did the rivers the people you heard of never did. He did the Stikine twice, as well as many first descents of major rivers in Peru. A true soul boater and one of the best in the world. A truly tragic day. I just can't believe roads killed Damon and Russel. Two of the hardest-charging paddlers of all time. Annie is in our thoughts.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #3

RIP Damon. What the hell? I can't believe this happened? Russel and Big D. Two of the most hardcore North Fork rippers passing away off the river? Is there a newspaper article anyone can link to? Was this near Logan UT? Damon was one of the funnest dudes to boat with ever................THAT FUCKING SUCKS......................
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
This has been a brutal year. For her to have lost two partners in such a short time is just unreal... Russel was a great guy. Not sure if I knew Damon, but the name is very familiar.

I feel so sorry for her and the family & friends. Loosing Adam this year completely tore me apart. I feel for the family and hope them well through this tragedy.

Craw
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #5

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This is a day of sadness that Is killing me. Damon is one of the most amazing people tha I have ever met. I did not really know him til Russell died. I am one of the shittiest paddlers on the planet but these guys never gave a shit. They both would chase my boat and laugh. Annie is the strongest most amazing girl I have ever met. Damon and Russell inspired me like no other. I wish I had more inspiring words.......Damon just like Russell did not give a shit about who knew what he was doing...he just did it. I hope everyone can make to Telluride Friday NIght for the Premeire of WHITEWATERGODS @ the Conference center @ 8:30. We are drinking mad pints of Russell Kelly Pale Ale at the brewery tonight sharing the stories. RKPA will be at the Premeire
Miss you Damon
Love
Fish
mountainfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #6

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This is a day of sadness that Is killing me. Damon is one of the most amazing people tha I have ever met. I did not really know him til Russell died. I am one of the shittiest paddlers on the planet but these guys never gave a shit. They both would chase my boat and laugh. Annie is the strongest most amazing girl I have ever met. Damon and Russell inspired me like no other. I wish I had more inspiring words.......Damon just like Russell did not give a shit about who knew what he was doing...he just did it. I hope everyone can make to Telluride Friday NIght for the Premeire of WHITEWATERGODS @ the Conference center @ 8:30. We are drinking mad pints of Russell Kelly Pale Ale at the brewery tonight sharing the stories. RKPA will be at the Premeire
Miss you Damon
Love
Fish
mountainfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
D Miller RIP

Seeing the grin on his face the last time we spoke is what I will forever remember. Part mystery, part elation at the power of life. May we all remember that smile and aspire to have the passion and power he commanded.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Man what an ugly year. Damon was the man and wouldn't hesitate to go paddling even if he had to put on by himself, just loved to paddle. I was just at the payette and a few of us were laughing about some of the things he did. Total monster and great guy. RIP brotha

Gary
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #9

The passing of one of the most prolific and kind-hearted kayaker/human-being in the world is something that I cannot understand or let go. My mind flashes back to the many episodes in which Damon showed me what kayaking was all about. Leaving the world a better place behind you. From the Baker in Southern Chile, to the deep canyons of Peru, Damon was an inspiration to watch. In our last conversation he told me about his plan of leaving the NF “there an’t nobody here to boat with so I end up just going, I am thinking about leaving but every time I go I wonder why left? Fuck..he loved that river,, and it was comfort to just know he was out there run’in Jakes solo in the Idaho twilight.. that it was possible someone could be soo solid. Russell and Damon they were both not of this earth, (“god's own prototypes not meant for mass production”) I hope they are together.. Suerte Fuerte Annie and Derek you are not alone..
Mateo
Matt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #10

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Kyle: "We don't need much, just a left or a right at the horizon line, we're totally solid"

Damon: "You better fuckin' be."

Deadpan silence at a sunset put-in for the Pandora's Box.

Rest well river demon. May his legend live on.

Evan
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote