Damage to gear from pool sessions? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Damage to gear from pool sessions?

Just bought some new gear and wondering if the chlorine from the pool would damage things such as drytops and pfd's. And if you couldn't tell, yeah, I'm a newbie. Just want to get used to everything on while trying to nail down my roll. I'm guessing if I wash it off fairly quickly after that I'm safe but looking for input.

justin_CO_kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
I always shower with my skirt on enough to rinse it off. I would say to not take the drytop in the pool, the pfd is your choice. The feeling of rolling with your drytop on will be no different than rolling in a pool without it.
Old 02-20-2012   #3

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The chlorine will eat away at your gear. I have random small holes in my pool skirt, and my nose plugs seem to deteriorate after a winter of pool sessions. Don't wear your dry top or your lifejacket.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012   #4

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I always heard it is bad for carbon fiber.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #5

SW, Colorado
A Kokatat rep posted advice against using drytops in pools. I would not put ANY Gore-tex or latex in a pool. How harmful the water is might depend on the exact materials used and which chemicals are in the pool (they use different kinds). But always wash things off, regardless.

My neoprene sprayskirt and shorty wetsuits have held up well so far. I rinse them off immediately after the pool session, then take them in the shower with me. Shampooing removes the chlorine.
H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smauk2 View Post
The chlorine will eat away at your gear. I have random small holes in my pool skirt, and my nose plugs seem to deteriorate after a winter of pool sessions. Don't wear your dry top or your lifejacket.

Won't it be harder to roll without a PFD?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #7

The slight benefit you may gain from wearing a PFD in the pool is not worth destroying your gear over. Rolling is about technique not having a minimal amount of buoyancy to help get up.

As a beginner just wear your skirt and wash it off when you get out of the pool.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #8

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
The bulk of some PFD's can affect a person's ability to roll, in part due to bulk and the feel/comfort and some newbies need to get used to that. Similar with a helmet. It's not a bad idea to wear a PFD a couple times in the pool once you have your roll down, just make sure to rinse it out well when done.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #9

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I recommend waiting until the weather warms up and practicing in a lake or pond if you want to practice your roll with all of your gear. dialing in your pool roll without all the gear is awesome for this time of year and then progress to a lake or pond before getting on moving water this spring.
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #10

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
The pool is a great place for an old skirt. I agree with not using your best PFD or top in the pool. But if you have an old PFD or top and want to have it feel more river like go for it.
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote