Mountain Buzz banner

Dagger Transition for Touring?

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Woman 
#1 ·
I have kayaked down low-rated rivers with family rental kayaks (non-rolling, non-trick, etc.), for fun and relaxation a number of times. Now I live near a low-rated stretch of river where I can do a regular run for relaxation. From my reading a touring kayak would be fine. Problem is, (1) new ones go for a fair amount; and (2) I really have no idea whether I'd prefer something higher end.

Is a Dagger Transition going to be comfortable for half-day touring trips, both in seating and in maneuvering? A guy in my area is selling his for $350 (plus Werner paddle). Are they one size, e.g. that given at
http://playak.com/kayaks.php (10'1 long, 24 inches wide, 38 lbs.)?

I plan to put this on top of my Honda Civic for half-day trips to the river.

Any input would be appreciated. All I've done so far is look at some new Otters for $250 at my local outdoors store.

#2 ·
If you can tell us where you will be paddling, and if you are a small or larger paddler, you will probably get more advise. I am not sure about that specific model, but at 10ft, I am guessing it is for tame rivers. Dagger makes great WW boats, but their touring boats have never really got any good reviews. I have found theyh typically do not have enough keel to track well, and fit large stature paddlers better. Also the newer ones are more difficult to pad out for a tight fit. You should probably continue looking for plastic boats, they hold up much better on the rivers. Another place to look is WWW.RMSKC.ORG , local touring nerds that have a classifieds section on their site.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for the input, Woodboat and Danimal. I'll be on the Rio Grande in New Mexico in what seems to be a mild section (have to check on that). I passed on the Dagger Transition, based on your input and my feeling that I'll be happier in a new, low priced touring kayak, like IIRC the Old Town Otter. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.