Dagger Safety Initiative helmet - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2007   #1

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Dagger Safety Initiative helmet

WRSI is going to help sweeten the DSI program this summer. Check it out.

http://www.teamdagger.com/ssp/news?news_id=61

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007   #2

engineer
what about me ?

AAAHHH Hey, I took the class in Vail, and I want one of them kool lids.. Any way an attendee from a previous class can get one?

:P
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bad Deal

Hang on a second - The special WRSI helmet is available "for only $89 with $10 of that going straight to AW." But a normal WRSI helmet costs $69. So the reality is that it is cheaper to get a normal MRSI lid and make a $19 dollar donation to AW than it is to buy the special helmet. That also means the coupon entitles us to spend more of our money than we could without the "Coupon".

I think the graphics on the special helmet are great - I just hate a paddling company acting like they are giving us a special deal when they are really charging us a premium.

If part of the cost of the helmet goes to support future white water safety classes that would also be a good reason for increased prices - but that isn't mentioned anywhere. I respect and appreciate that Dagger is sponsoring free white water classes - but offering a "coupon" to pay more cash for the same helmet doesn't sweeten the deal - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007   #4

Sorry you feel that way. They (WRSI) set the price and yes funds go to AW earmarked from the DSI. They put extra into the color scheme so it will cost a bit more. And they donated 45 helmets for volunteers so that will be a factor as well. So no , the coupon does not cause you to spend more. Taking the class enables you the ability to purchase it as they will not go to retail. If you want to buy a stock color from WRSI then give er'. Send $19 to AW on top of it? Heck yeah, please do, that would be great. But if spending extra on the sick bird limited edition lid leaves a bad taste in your mouth, don't get one. Easy solution. As it stands we are looking at about a $5,000 donation to AW if it all goes well by the end of the season.
Old 01-25-2007   #5

raftus,

Like Hobie said it costs more for the manufacturer to make the helmet. Second 10 dollars is going to AW. What Hobie didn't say is that you are getting a cheap safety class. Now I don't know about you, but getting a safety class that usually cost about $100 for a small fee sounds like a smoking deal, and hey if you want a cool helmet to go with it you have that opportunity

So I would say before "hating a paddling company acting like they are giving us a special deal when they are really charging us a premium" Realize that Dagger and WRSI and AW are trying to add a great service to the paddling community, and guess what that costs money.
Waterpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #6

Ridgway, Colorado
Is there a schedule of the DSI classes to be offered in 2007?

thx
jwolters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #7

I would like to get involved here. However, is it known weather or not WRSI is going to expand the size range for these helmets for those of us that go extra large melon.
brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #8

Remember the DSI class is free and you only purchase the helmet if you want. No arm twisting here. Good class, cool brain bucket (If you want it).
Yeah man, cant wait till run off.
Old 01-25-2007   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Responses

Hobie and Waterpooch, thanks to both of you for your responses. I am a big fan of safety classes for all boaters and I think that it is awesome that Dagger is providing these classes for free. I am also a supporter of AW - I didn't realize that there were sponsoring the DSI. I would love to earmark some cash to AW for that program. I understand that these classes cost money and I am in favor of giving paddlers a way to donate cash for the program. I also love the idea that having a special edition helmet could be a visible way of telling the paddling community that you personally support white water safety.

From Hobie's comment is it right that part of the cost of the helmet goes to AW earmarked to support the DSI? Or is it that the $10 goes to AW from the DSI through WRSI but is a general donation to AW?
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #10

Hey Everybody. My name is Kasey and I'm with WRSI working with Hobie on this program. First of all, I am so excited that there is so much buzz already about our limited edition Dagger Safety Initiative helmet and the money that it will raise for American Whitewater!

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify the details of the program so that everyone is crystal clear on the specifics. In the beginning, this helmet will be sold exclusively to the people who attend the free safety clinic. The helmet is worth $89.95. Anyone who attends the class will receive a $20 discount towards the purchase of this limited edition helmet only. WRSI is then donating $10 from every sale of this helmet to American Whitewater. So, if you take the class, you have the opportunity to buy this helmet for $69.95. Also, by purchasing this helmet, you have donated $10 to American Whitewater.

What if you want the helmet and you can't attend any of the classes? We are expecting to have some helmets left over after most of the classes have finished. At that time, they will be available for sale on our website at www.whitewaterhelmet.com or at your local retailer for $89.95. This is a limited edition helmet, so it will be difficult to get one outside of the class or volunteering for Dagger's creek events, but not impossible. Please keep an eye on WRSI's website for information on when you can buy one of these styli helmets. (hint: summer)

The purpose of this entire program is two-fold:
1. We want people to attend the free safety clinics to educate the community about the basics of river safety. Dagger and WRSI are teaming up to promote whitewater recreation safety and save lives by disseminating knowledge.
2. We want to raise money for American Whitewater through this program so that AW can continue to fight for our rivers and for the boating community as a whole.

To clarify the money side of things, Dagger is paying for 100% of the Dagger Safety Initiative program. This includes food, all promotional materials, venue, Mike Mather's salary, ect. WRSI is sponsoring the event with our limited edition helmet and using the venue to raise money for American Whitewater. The money that is raised from the helmet sales will be earmarked as money raised through the DSI program. American Whitewater supports, not sponsors, this program due to the goals of the DSI listed above. AW is saving their $'s to fight the legal battles of the river community.

If anyone has any further questions about this program and our intentions, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]. WRSI, Dagger and American Whitewater are all so excited about this program and the positive effects that will result from it. We want to thank everyone who has already contacted us and offered support and enthusiasm. I look forward to meeting all of you this spring and summer.

Please stay tuned to teamdagger.com and whitewaterhelmet.com for dates and information regarding the DSI.

Cheers!
Ilikeboatin is offline   Reply With Quote