Dagger Playboats? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-17-2007   #1

Dagger Playboats?

Whats the story with Dagger Playboats? I heard alot of trash talked about them since they change constantly and since they have joined with confluence. My (riot) friends contend that their boats are going to look more and more similar since they are owned by the company? any other comments?

J72186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007   #2

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Dagger did not join with Confluence, Confluence purchased Watermark (the former owner of the brand). Although we share R&D space we do not design together. Yes, we are under the blanket of Confluence but dont work together on designs. One exception. The Nomad and Habitat have the same creek seat. Why? We at Dagger have wanted to change the design for several years for better stern access. Problem is a rotomolded seat mold is pretty expensive (one of the reasons other brands dont use them and go with lighter and weaker thermoform). So we tweaked the Nomad mold to fit the new seat. Also one of the reasons the new Nomad seat does not fit older Nomads. They dont have the retro fit.
As for us constantly changing, yes, for sure. We learn from one boat and then try to use that knowledge on the next. Plus we prototype a bunch on new models and get as much imput as possible. The Agent is a prime example as we even waited till after OR to order the molds. We wanted to get a bunch of people to sit in it to make sure we had the right fit for each size. We do it for many reasons. Comfort, paddle style and newer technolgy to name a few.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #3

its one of those things that you cant help but wonder about, I work for a sea kayaking shop but we deal with confluence so fortunatly I can get the boats unfortunatly I cant easily sit in them. thanks for the anwser, my riot friends get annoying anyways
J72186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007   #4

Agent Fit

Hobie, Snowy, and the rest of the team over at Dagger did put a ton of time into the new Agents. I think, if the oportunity presents itself, that you would find the Agent to be one of the more roomy and comfortable playboats to ever hit the market. The 6.2 can handle such a wide range of people and dimentions of paddlers, while the 6.4 gives BIG guys a comfortable platform like never before. Even more amazingly, at 5'10 and 160lbs, I can sit and paddle in a 6.0 as long as I'd like. What really put me over the top was sitting in the 6.2 with my CREEKING SHOES on (not booties) and still having PLENTY of footspace. Thankfully, you also do not short yourself on performance by being in these "bigger" boats. On the performance end, well, it's pretty sick and I think the boats results speak for themselves thus far.

As for changing constantly it seems to me like Dagger, along with most major manufacturers, offers a new playboat design every 2-3 years. The Crazy 88 has been around for a couple, then there was the Kingpin prior to that, and so on. Each boat was a change, but a positive one towards a higher performing, safer, and more comfortable package. Sharing technologies such as the Roto-Seat is a good idea as synergies such as that will keep both companies afloat in this competitive market. However, I don't think you're going to see the same hull design from an Agent on this years Projects, nor will you find the accompanying comfort that comes with it.

Hopefully you'll get the opportunity to sit in one and see what all the hoopla is about.

Happy Paddling
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
agent is sick

i threw some money down first boat i ever bought with out sitting in it! i know dagger kayaks have a performance standard with every boat and thats why i had no worry with buying an agent! right outa package might have to tweak some of the thigh braces and add some foam under seat if you don't like sitting super low! first day i was in this boat i knew it was proabbly twice as fast as the old kingpin! the hull on this boat is the best boat ive seen, super flat in the mid section and thats what make it so fast carves beautifully! releasing for helixs and felixs are cake! having a big short end is awsome because flatwater loops are cake you land flat stern barely his water! ever day im in it i love it more, combination moves like split wheels and cartwheels into tricky woo! this boat is definetely the best play boat ive ever paddled i had to out fit but perfect volume super comfy awsome play ability! best boat so far but can't wait to see how performs on big waves
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #6

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Awesome news. We put a lot of work into the Agent. Glad everyone is digging it. I am as well although I still have a prototype. Problem is they have been so popular I have yet to get my own production 6.4. As for the seat height make sure to put that pleasure wedger to use (small triangular plasctic piece with a bolt in it). It will allow you to angle the front of the seat to get your legs in a more aggresive position.
Again, thank you for picking the Agent. There are some great boats available this year but I feel we have the winner. Comfort, performance, light weight and very versitile. I appreciate you giving us a chance and it seems like you are pretty happy with it as well.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
ahah is that what that was for! man i was wondering what the little wedge was for thanks for the tip, one awsome ride
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
Hobie, very cool that you guys responded to boater demands and fixed the leaking issue that previous playboats had.
Old 03-19-2007   #9

yo word g man
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote