Dad / Son Tandem Kayaking - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2015   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Dad / Son Tandem Kayaking

I wanted to share a video of kayaking with my son this summer.. Hope you enjoy.

-Micah

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
So awesome We just got my boyfriend's kids paddling their own boats this year... puts a whole other spin on things, so much more to worry about, so much more gear, logistics and work, but damn it is so worth it to see their joy.
Old 09-24-2015   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Awesome. Looks like I should start looking for a duo because my little ripper is getting too big to share the cockpit with me anymore.
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015   #4

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Purchasing a Dynamic Duo was the single best kayak related investment I've made. It's been fantastic to share the fun with the kids. Even as they have moved into using their own kayaks, it's still fun to take them on runs in the Duo that they're not ready for on their own.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Awesome. I have a four year old that I want to get out in the kayak as well. Is he able to pull the sprayskirt off?
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #6

, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
That's great thanks for sharing....
one_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
skirt

I've run my kids and their cousins in the Duo without a skirt, with a skirt on their waist but not on the cockpit, and even a skirt half on the cockpit - all based on their skill at pulling a skirt. Too much water gets into the boat without some sort of skirt protection - and the Duo is a heavy beast with water. Pulling a skirt in the pool is a different than in a river for kids, at least the first few times.

What I found worked the best - and allowed me to do rolls with the kids - is a nylon/bungee skirt with adjustable (velcro) waist tabs, a snap dragon make. It fits the duo and adjusts to the kids waist sizes. It's a loose fit on the Duo - it will stay on when doing a roll if the kids hold themselves in the kayak (ie. hang onto the rim, brace the legs). If the kid up front does not hold on, they will fall out (loose fit in the kayak) - and if they fall out the skirt will automatically come off with them. Even the smallest tug will pop it off. With that I figure I'm covered both ways - if the kid pulls great, if not it will pop off as they fall out of the kayak.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #8

Boulder, Colorado
You an also put them in an adult skirt. Then they can get right out without pulling, and it keeps most of the water out unless you're into bigger drops.

Carry a travel cover, so if the kid starts crying, you can leave the on shore and keep boating!

Kidding on that part, but you can run drops solo while they portage.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
duo skirt: read something once about rigging up a tether system so adult could pull both skirts at once. Seemed like a good idea.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #10

Nampa, Idaho
He can pull his skirt on dry land. At age 4, the plan is for him not to ever be upside down, let alone in the situation where he would have to pull his skirt. I doubt he or really any young children are spontaneously able to pull their skirt upside down while in whitewater.

I feel as though I take all of the necessary precautions. I've been paddling for 20 years. The skirt is loose and can implode easily. I wouldn't run a rapid I thought I was going to flip over in. Even if that happened, I would never run a rapid I thought I wouldn't be able to immediately roll up in. If I ever found myself in such an extreme situation, I would be prepared to quickly swim and remove him from the upside down cockpit. And as an extra precaution, I keep another expert kayaker within a few seconds of me at all times. Kayaking in whitewater with small children is no joke. If you want to do this, the best advice I can give is don't flip over. Even a quick combat roll would ruin kayaking for my boy and that is the last thing I want.

Next year my plan is to have him paddle mostly flatwater in a Fun1. As long as he continues to enjoy it.

-Micah Kneidl
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking