Cutting Wood Out of Little South Fork Poudre - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-12-2009   #1

Cutting Wood Out of Little South Fork Poudre

It turns out that some local kayakers destroyed the majority of the habitat for the endangered Greenback Greenback Cutthroat in the Little South Fork of the Poudre by cutting out logs that had been placed there by the Division of Wildlife and other agencies to help protect the species.

Not only is this in the wilderness area and illegal but this species is considered threatened. Both of which could bring pretty serious legal ramifications for those that did the deed.

The little south harbored one of only two populations of this trout when recovery efforts were started in 1937 and was the basis for the recovery effort. The DOW and other agencies spent a ton of money to create those log jams to protect the species.

Id like to see what the rest of the Fort Collins community of boaters thinks about cutting wood out of protected runs even if it destroys fish habitat and affects threatened and endangered fish species.

So what say you?

fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sounds like a load of bullshit to me.

Sounds like someone hiding behind a username trying to start crap.
Old 07-12-2009   #3

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
I like fishing and wildlife.

But, if the fish simply can't huck the GNAR; than that is just natural selection.

Boof or Die!
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009   #4

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
So the DOW manufactures log-jams? Please inform us as to how many Greenbacks were destroyed, in the so called- "destruction," of your beloved logjammer. Err,i mean log jam.

You tool.
Old 07-12-2009   #5

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
DOW should leave the river alone too!

I'm not sure that they have any business altering the wilderness any more than the kayakers that cut it out. Was the NEPA process done? Were kayaking groups contacted prior to this log jamming occuring? The fish can live without log jams. Kayakers can't live if they get trapped in them. This is like the "habitat enhancement" DOW did on the Dowd Chutes on the Eagle River, about 16 years ago. Their "enhancement" turned into a keeper hole that ran all the way across the river, eating rafts and kayakers. They were forced to take it out.

Best if the DOW left the log jams in the unrunable creeks and rivers, if their are any.... chow! Jim Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
It turns out that some local kayakers destroyed the majority of the habitat for the endangered Greenback Greenback Cutthroat in the Little South Fork of the Poudre by cutting out logs that had been placed there by the Division of Wildlife and other agencies to help protect the species.

Not only is this in the wilderness area and illegal but this species is considered threatened. Both of which could bring pretty serious legal ramifications for those that did the deed.

The little south harbored one of only two populations of this trout when recovery efforts were started in 1937 and was the basis for the recovery effort. The DOW and other agencies spent a ton of money to create those log jams to protect the species.

Id like to see what the rest of the Fort Collins community of boaters thinks about cutting wood out of protected runs even if it destroys fish habitat and affects threatened and endangered fish species.

So what say you?
martha_moran@juno.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't they usually put signs up when you enter a wilderness area? I don't recall seeing any.

I also stopped writing any personal accounts of wood removal for public reading, just to be safer.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't try to make an issue out of something that's not. Cutting a few suspended logs out of a river channel to make it safe to paddle is not a crime. Keep it in perspective, too, one forest fire anywhere near that drainage, or other headwaters, would have far more impact than anything, non-commercial, than man can do. Thanks to the pine beetle I think I would worry far more about that for the next 25 years, than I would people with good intentions, enjoying the outdoors.
Old 07-12-2009   #8

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
If the logs were placed so the current flowed over them creating a shelter underneath, like a cave, then they should not be a problem for boaters and they benefit the fish. If they are strainers with a lot of current underneath them, then they are a hazard to boaters and of little benefit to the trout, except as shade. I hope boaters do not cut out well designed features, but death traps made by man are unacceptable in my opinion. My take as a boater and fisherman.

As far a the wilderness issue, did they use chainsaws or hand saws? Which violates the intent of wilderness the most, creating man made features or removing them?
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #9

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post

So what say you?
Fishguy, you are full of shit. Nice try.

This is pretty funny though...
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #10
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
The biggest threat to the Greenbacks survival are the non-native Browns, Rainbows and Brookies. Is TU calling for their removal?