cutting out thwarts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2008   #1

cutting out thwarts?

Just got a screaming deal on a used raft/frame. My intended use is fishing and overnighters. Id like a bit more room for storing gear. Question: The boat has attached thwarts. Can I cut them out and use coolers/dryboxes with the frame instead? Or is that the worst idea I ever had? I will never use it for a paddle boat.

Thanks!

yonderpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
What raft do you have?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
What raft do you have?
It's a 12.5' standard floor with 2 fixed thwarts. It's got Sportsmans Warehouse branded on it, but I don't know who the actual manufacturer was. It's in excellent condition-well stored and cared for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008   #4

Use a heat gun and unglue them. That way if you decide to put them back in you can order the NRS thwart attachment system and glue the system on. Then you will have removable thwarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonderpaul View Post
Just got a screaming deal on a used raft/frame. My intended use is fishing and overnighters. Id like a bit more room for storing gear. Question: The boat has attached thwarts. Can I cut them out and use coolers/dryboxes with the frame instead? Or is that the worst idea I ever had? I will never use it for a paddle boat.

Thanks!
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarboatman View Post
Use a heat gun and unglue them. That way if you decide to put them back in you can order the NRS thwart attachment system and glue the system on. Then you will have removable thwarts.
Good advice. Will a "thwartless" standard-floor raft with just a frame and coolers, etc for crossmembers be stable? Do you think I'll sacrifice much performance? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008   #6

You shouldn't have any problems. If you put 4 D rings on the inside to strap the frame on it will help with lateral stability. This will keep you from having to run it full of coolers and dryboxes all the time. What size is the boat? I know where you can get a cheap SB floor if it would fit. Good luck and happy glue sniffing
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #7

Rather than cutting them out you could save yourself the headache and just deflate them. Just be sure the valves are closed.
WalshJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #8

golden
I cut out my Riken thwarts with no problem. They are actually sewn in. So all it took was a razorblade. Then we installed the NRS knuckles by gluing them right over the thwart patches.