Crystal Mill Falls - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2012   #1

Commercial Paleontology
Crystal Mill Falls

Hey what would be a good water level for running the Crystal Mill Falls for the first time? Any other beta would be appreciated..

Thanxs

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
The first time I ran crystal mill falls the gauge was at 480cfs at redcliff. it is 700 now and would probably still be a good first time level. I'd say it is good to go.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
So, you ran it Bob? How about updating your other thread:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...2-a-43141.html

to let all of us who chimed in to give you beta, how the trip went..............just sayin'....
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012   #4

x, x
you are right, i will.
Old 06-04-2012   #5

x, x
I would like to clarify - this was my first time visiting the falls upon re-reading my post I make it sound like I've run it numerous times and that 500 was a good first time level. I'm no authority in this area and just returned from visiting, I would go run it now and I plan on returning in a few weeks.
Old 06-06-2012   #6

freeloader
Ran it last weekend a couple times. Good line is to boof out of the river right eddy at the lip driving left, onto the lateral wave, and take a big right boof stroke, landing on the left side of the falls with as much speed as possible. My buddy ran it river right the first time and got spanked and swam. Then he tried the "good line" and got spanked and swam. The hole at the bottom is really sticky, he disappeared for almost 10 seconds. Charge hard!
Old 06-06-2012   #7

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
The first time I ran crystal mill falls the gauge was at 480cfs at redcliff. it is 700 now and would probably still be a good first time level. I'd say it is good to go.
So when you say you ran it...you meant...you didnt run it...

I ran Crystal Mill falls two weekends ago at around 450 cfs. I charged from the top and always landed flat however didn't ever get a real good boof stroke and the falls sucked me back in. The bottom of the falls is a powerful hole making it an excellent sight for a mill (hence the mill) however swiming it sucks and you should expect to get recired overhead dam style at least once. I swam two of three. I would have laped it tell I nailed it but the swim SUCKS. Good luck.
Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #8

x, x
i don't know if you are joking w me or not but i ran it twice last saturday. i did not get recirculated though and thought the same thing about the river left eddy working in favor of the mill.

I am assuming that the 750cfs range is just as good if not better. the book says 500-1500 and i thought 500 was a little low. I ran it from the top both times so i can not comment on starting in the eddy abouve the wave.

I plan on going back out there in a week or two to get more laps on crystal mill and to roll the dice on the n.f and punchbowls.

If you are getting worked and can't handle the swim, maybe it is over your head mentally and that is where you struggle, that is not a hole.
Old 06-06-2012   #9

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Don't hate me because you drive an Astro van...
Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #10

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post

If you are getting worked and can't handle the swim, maybe it is over your head mentally and that is where you struggle, that is not a hole.
DAMMM!! Wuz up now!