Crystal Gorge Season - Cancelled! - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2008   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Crystal Gorge Season - Cancelled!

We (Tyson, Frank and I) dropped today. Entrance Exam is the same. The geology of Pinetree has changed - unfortunately for the worse. A rock fell over on river left and the pool is gone. So is the 8' boof below Pinetree. We caught the river left eddy at the lip, and ran the run-out of Pinetree on far river left. Pinetree remains runnable, but definitely harder than before. The drops below Pinetree to Zoot are good to go.

The inner is screwed worse than Pinetree. There is a river wide log right below Zoot. The following drop has a new rock pile which forces the majority of the water down through a toilet bowl sieve. The third drop above the takeout (8' foot dam looking drop that lands in a room with only the river right being a safe exit) has a new log vertically in the exit. This log is the real deal breaker. All in all you could portage Zoot, get around the first log and maybe survive the rest - but my rating is definitely NR. I hope someone proves me wrong, but I think most people are out. For reference, the flow was nearly perfect today or a hair on the high side for everything (350 cfs).

I'll post pictures in the next few days. Bummer dudes. Anyone for the Clarks box thurs-sun?

Joe

P.S. Pandoras was at a perfect first time level on friday (450 Tall Timbers, 725 Durango). Truly an epic run. Oh Cutch, Swollen told me that you're mistake, it really was saying send Kyle down to me, send Kyle!

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008   #2

Ran both upper and inner yesterday. It all goes...
crowdaroundum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdaroundum View Post
Ran both upper and inner yesterday. It all goes...
Somehow I knew that once we told everyone there were wood issues someone would fire it up. Much props to you. Care to share any beta about the difficulty of getting around the vertical tree upstream of Perfect Piton? We couldn't see it very well, but it looked pretty dodgy.

Its really cool to see the new Pine Tree and think about a rapid like that undergoing pretty significant changes. In retrospect we should have run it. It's definitely harder than before, but still goes.

Sounds like the Inner goes, but its definitely gnarlier than it was last year (both because of new trees and the third drop now looking like something from Cheeseman). I'd be curious to hear reports about dealing with the new wood and the changed rapid.

TT

PS - I agree with Joe that Pandora's is at a perfect first timer level, but I'll also agree with everyone who has called that run guide-mandatory. Start buying beers for every Durango paddler you know so that you can get the tour.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008   #4

I had only been in there once before at 250. I thought Pine Tree just had added spice with the 364 flow of yesterday. Though it does make sense that the drop has actually changed because it felt pretty dang loose trying to make the right channel at the bottom. If you don't make the the far right... the far left channel goes as well.... Middle looks like bad pin potential.

The tree below Zoot forces the boof off the falls (which is not exactly a soft landing) and then it is on. The vertical tree above perfect Piton seemed to be the easiest part of the entire inner. All in all our late season sketchy run just got a little sketchier. Good to see San Miguel County Representing
crowdaroundum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #5

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
hard boaters in san miguel county? thought I knew both of them. kidding. where are you san miguelians?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #6

Seattle, Washington
Well, I've got to hand it to ya. Basically you just said you missed the fact that an 8' waterfall is replaced by a huge mank pile, Zoot (which broke two backs last season with probably less than 20 descents) is a must boof to dodge a nearly river-wide log, and one of the sketchiest V+ runs in CO just got a lot sketchier. The Crystal remains runnable for those raised at birth on Montucky whiskey! Nice work.
Joe
Old 08-04-2008   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
The Crystal remains runnable for those raised at birth on Montucky whiskey!
Joe
Exactly
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #8

Seattle, Washington
Also, here's a shot of the waterfall that no longer exists.....It's the middle one of the three pics.

Jackson Kayak - Kayak News, Kayak Photos, Kayak Videos and Kayak Stories

Joe
Old 08-06-2008   #9

The next zone, .
Thanks for the info boys....

A crew from BV is heading up that way today with their eye on the inner...

I think only one was raised on burbon - the rest of demshitz didnt start drinkin until the 4th grade so we will see how it goes...
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #10

Seattle, Washington
How'd it go...