crowds got you down? Taylor will fix ya up - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2012   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
crowds got you down? Taylor will fix ya up

tired of fighting the masses at Shoshone? bored with repetitive low-flow Upper C runs with ten thousand of your closest friends? had enough of bumping elbows and dealing with crazy land owners on Foxton/Waterton?

your salvation to this all lies on the other side of the mountains, in the form of the Taylor River. 250 cfs of crisp, clear, cold mountain water, pouring through loads of fun, non threatening, but oh-so-boofable rapids. it may not be hard, but its some of the best 250 cfs you will boat this time of year. had a blast yesterday with a solid crew, boofs, splats, surfs, holes. oh, and did I mention it is uncrowded? we saw one other group taking off, but on water we saw ZERO other groups.

current word is 250 until August 1st....however there have been rumours of more water calls coming in from the Uncompahgre Valley (they own Taylor Reservoir) so there is a very real chance that 250 will stick around until possibly Sep 1.

I know its a bit of a drive for some people....but trust me, if you're over the crowds elsewhere, it's worth an extra hour in the car. come, camp, make a weekend of it. give me a line and we'll go boating.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012   #2

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I bet the people who call this their home river run are gonna kill ya for advertising their secret piece of heaven ha ha..... Gonna have to check it out, thanks for the beta!
Old 07-09-2012   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
its been my home river for the past 27 years so i think i have room to advertise...

and it doesnt really matter, when i said we didnt see anybody, that meant locals too......so even some other locals are ignoring their home river too
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy
its been my home river for the past 27 years so i think i have room to advertise...

and it doesnt really matter, when i said we didnt see anybody, that meant locals too......so even some other locals are ignoring their home river too
I want in today... Coming from Lafayette. Let me know your availability Chris at sportainability dot com
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #5

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What about all the no trespassing business? I've wanted to do this stretch, but stayed clear as I've read several posts here saying watch out for the private land owners.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Trespassing? Ummmmm..... Aren't you a pirate?
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #7

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
That may be true, but doesn't mean I care to pay up to 5G's or 2 years in the clink. The wife might not be happy with me on either.

American Whitewater - Colorado River Access
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
That may be true, but doesn't mean I care to pay up to 5G's or 2 years in the clink. The wife might not be happy with me on either.

American Whitewater - Colorado River Access
It's simple, really. Just don't touch any rocks!
Old 07-09-2012   #9

Kit gave a detailed description of the access issues here:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tml#post169703

In 2011, I floated from Lodgepole to New Gen at high flows ( 400 dam, 1300 Almont ) and didn't have to portage any drops or bridges. No landowner was present.

At current dam release of 245, flows above New Gen are below minimum. The conflict that Kit doesn't mention is from the homeowner at the bridge below Initiation. That's the long rapid after Todd's Slot and the raft launch. If you get out of your boat near the bridge the sheriff will be called and meet you at the takeout. Last year he was understanding with our group due to us having a swimmer.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I would advise any one going through that private land stretch to record the whole section on a head cam to cya.