crossovers and the like - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2015   #1

New Brunswick, New Jersey
crossovers and the like

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am seeking opinions on crossovers or class 1 and 2 boats. I've been kayaking for over 7 years and have 4 boats. Tiderace Xplore, P&H Scorpio LV, Tsunami 13.5 and Pungo 120. I've been using the Pungo on the local rivers and streams but it just likes to go straight too much. A good boat to hang out with a camera waiting for wildlife in lakes etc, but limited. The others are obviously not suited for small rivers and streams. The water levels here (NY,NJ,PA,CT metro area) are often low, lots of rocks, some twisty turny stuff too mixed in with stretches of straight slower moving water.
I am considering a Pyranha Fusion or a Jackson Rogue, Katana maybe. I don't see myself going much beyond 2+ difficulty. I am 5'5" 135. Older boats not being made anymore are fine too as I don't mind a used boat at a good price.
Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

sambucadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Just a thought. You might consider renting a crossover and also a river runner kayak (such as a LL Remix). I bought a crossover a few years ago after only having touring kayaks (Necky Manitou 14 and Eddyline Fathom). I really enjoy it's maneuverability on the river here, so I think you are on the right track. However, I almost never use the skeg anymore -- the crossover felt squirrelly at first by comparison to the touring kayaks, but I very quickly got used to it. A river runner might suit you just fine. Others may chime in here about the potential advantage of a crossover vs. a river runner for you. Crossovers are good for carrying more stuff, but I don't know if that is important to you. A river runner will be a bit shorter and lighter, easier to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my crossover, but I may have been as well served by a river runner. (For you, it may depend on how much of that slower moving water you have -- and how slow.)
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
I see you have not had much response yet. These boats have certainly been discussed on the buzz. Do a search either from w/in the buzz, or using your favorite search engine including mountainbuzz in the search field. There was a thread within the week. At your size don't get a large.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015   #4

., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
I would recommend a LL Remix XP9 for comfort and stability. If you are going to be sitting in it for a while I'd recommend taking out the foam pillar in between your legs (class I and II only) so you can stretch and bend your legs. It's also capable up to class 3+. I've been using one dr a couple years for class I/II as well as class III/IV multi day trips and love it.
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015   #5

New Brunswick, New Jersey
Unfortunately I don't know of any place that rents around here, except for rec boats. From the other threads, seems like all these boats have their fans. I'm thinking the smaller the better, I like a tight fitting boat and am used to it from sea kayaking. But I do want to be able to do 1-2 night camp trips so a small crossover is probably the way to go.
I'm hoping that some of these boats will be available to try out at Jersey Paddler's demo weekend in early June. It very well may boil down to which boat comes up on the used market...I'm not convinced a new boat would be worth it for the handful of times I'd use it per year, a lot of time is spent in the sea yaks.
sambucadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015   #6

., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
Keep in mind that 'tight fit' can be achieved in wide boats with proper outfitting. If you want a narrow boat then there goes your stability. You could even get a tight fit in an XP10 and then be able to stand up in it because of its width/stability. I'm 5'11" at 150# and the XP9 fits like a glove once outfitted correctly which helps improve maneuverability and overall performance in whitewater.
I'd agree you are on the right track looking for used instead of new if you aren't going to paddle it more than a few times a year.
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote