crested butte creeks - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-31-2005   #1

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
crested butte creeks

Anyone from the butte know when ob joy, slate, or daisy will start to run. Im looking to run them for my first time, and ill be in the area mid mayish. Any chance that they will be runnable then? Or is there anyone that would join me and show me the lines??

Josh

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005   #2

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
this is what obj looked like 5/17/03, we were postholing through thigh deep snow to get to the putin.... and they have much more snow this year. I doubt you will be able to get in there that early, and if you do there will be big scary snow undercuts to deal with... Keep in mind the CB creeks are all pretty much "high alpine".

http://community.webshots.com/album/75706019yauWZR
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #3

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
hey ski-kayak365.... my chick friend said she skied the big drop(OBJ) last week and it was about a 5 foot ledge.....mid may could happen if we get a freaky warm spell like last year...we're buried up here! we'll hook up when you get here....i'll show you the creeks... we'll pick the lines together....still have my number josh....PS the east is great in a playboat as it has some of the best surf in the county....really!
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005   #4

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks milo, yep I still have your number. I look forward to it, If not may, then somehow ill get there in june, during main runoff. Ill let you know when escalante runs too if you want to meet there as well.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #5
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
I'm gonna hijack your thread a lil bit with a question. For anyone that knows, whats a good progressive order of creeks to do in the butte. Never done any of em and am thinking of possibly gettin down there over the summer. Which ones should ya start with and then work up to.??? thanks for any info
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #6

Laramie, Wyoming
the order from easiest to hardest...

1. East River Class IV
2. Daisy Creek V-
3. Slate River V
4. OBJ V

All in all the cb creeks are not "hair", generally very forgiving and easy lines for the amount of gradient there...
Old 04-01-2005   #7
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Gonna have to disagree a little, badkins. As long as you leave Wicked Wanda out (and her plumbing is usually choked anyway), then I'd swap Daisy and the Slate in order and rating...

1. East River Class IV
2. Slate River V-
3. Daisy Creek V
4. OBJ V
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #8
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
I agree that daisy is more along the lines of a V, if you are running big wood and rip your head off.

Also, although these creeks are not "hair," they will be a lot harder and more full on with high water, as we will likely see for a good time during runoff this year. Thus, if you are new to the runs, it is better to catch them lower first, because missing your boof with a lot of water would not be too fun (big hydraulics).
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #9

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Scouted Rip Your Head Off last year when we were at OBJ - that particular drop looks nastier and more consequential than any of the drops on OBJ. But I bet it's sweet if you nail it.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #10

Laramie, Wyoming
Rip your head off is very straight forward, you just run it right down the middle and move your paddle off to the right. However, I have heard horror stories of what happens when you drag your hand on the left wall, or worse roll to the left...

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/?photoid=1251

While were on the subject of cb creeks, do you think this is a photoshop?

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/?photoid=8596