Crested Butte area midweek 6/3-6/6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-01-2013   #1

campton, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2007
Crested Butte area midweek 6/3-6/6

Traveling through and would love to have a local show me around. Upper East, Upper Taylor, Gunny gorge, anything else in the area flowing. V boater once upon a time but throttling back a bit. Would like to run OBJ if levels are good and I'm feelin' it.

Happy to drive further if anyone's offering a show down their favorite runs...

floaterboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013   #2

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by floaterboater View Post
Traveling through and would love to have a local show me around. Upper East, Upper Taylor, Gunny gorge, anything else in the area flowing. V boater once upon a time but throttling back a bit. Would like to run OBJ if levels are good and I'm feelin' it.

Happy to drive further if anyone's offering a show down their favorite runs...
Upper Taylor is looooooow--probably not worth it yet.

Gunny Gorge is boatable but slow and way mellow at current flows.

Lake Fork Gunny is still (just) doable, as is North Fork Gunny and Bogan Canyon. Slaughterhouse is also low but doable.

On a good day I'm a IV boater but if you don't get any other offers I might be into hitting one of the above on Tues or Weds.
Old 06-03-2013   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Uhm....not to burst your bubble mike.....but you're a bit off.

Upper Taylor is fine right now. It's on the lower side but the manky spots are gone, everything goes, and it's actually a whole lot of fun at this level. Very creeky, tight and twisting. New Gen and Slot are really fun moves right now. You can actually boat the Upper as low as about 200 on the Almont gauge. Reading 462 right now....

The Lake Fork Canyon is also good to go. Kayaker cut off is 350-400 and there is just over 600 in it right now. I'd use caution with a raft but kayakers are golden in there right now. Actually a good level for advancing kayakers, the LF at higher water (>1000) can get pretty damn pushy.

I work during the day but can usually get out in the afternoons if I have enough warning. Don't know if I have time to make it down to the LF after work but an afternoon Taylor trip is always fun. What days are you going to be in the Valley?
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013   #4

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
Uhm....not to burst your bubble mike.....but you're a bit off.

Upper Taylor is fine right now. It's on the lower side but the manky spots are gone, everything goes, and it's actually a whole lot of fun at this level. Very creeky, tight and twisting. New Gen and Slot are really fun moves right now. You can actually boat the Upper as low as about 200 on the Almont gauge. Reading 462 right now....

The Lake Fork Canyon is also good to go. Kayaker cut off is 350-400 and there is just over 600 in it right now. I'd use caution with a raft but kayakers are golden in there right now. Actually a good level for advancing kayakers, the LF at higher water (>1000) can get pretty damn pushy.

I work during the day but can usually get out in the afternoons if I have enough warning. Don't know if I have time to make it down to the LF after work but an afternoon Taylor trip is always fun. What days are you going to be in the Valley?
No bubble to burst--thanks for setting me straight.

I've only done upper Taylor at ~260 and was told by some local lifers that 200 (on the below-Taylor-dam gauge) is the low end of doable. Glad to know better now.

Also great to know about the LF. Would love to get on it Tues or Weds of this week.
Old 06-03-2013   #5

campton, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2007
thanks for the replies guys, I'm hoping to be in the gunny area weds&thurs. All going to depend on how the shoulder recoups from a bad crash at a basin saturday... i'll shoot you a message tomorrow when I know. would love to hit upper T
floaterboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #6
God Amongst Men

Mike- No worries! I guess it's just a personal tolerance for mank- I've done it as low as 100 @ Dam / 120 @ Almont and while it was pretty abusive it was still damn fun. LMyers and I went out last spring at like 160/200 and it was actually a lot of fun. There are some shallow spots to deal with but so much of the run is channelized pretty well. At that flow you really get to see the riverbed more, so rather than big holes you actually get to go over drops and ledges. And did I mention chutes galore? Give me a holler next time youre down here, I'd love to paddle it with you!

@floaterboater- Im all locked up wednesday, I gotta work both jobs. But Thursday I'm only working a half day, so an afternoon trip seems very reasonable and doable. Let me know!
Old 06-06-2013   #7
God Amongst Men

I didn't hear any plans being made so I signed up to do wedding stuff today. Give me a holler next time youre down here and we'll go paddle.