Creeks in Rocky Mountain National Park - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2005   #1

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Creeks in Rocky Mountain National Park

Anyone know what has or hasn't been run in the Park. Im looking into 1st Decents and Im not sure what has been run and what hasn't. Or which parts of creeks have been/have not.

Ive been scouting a lot of creeks and plan to scout more and run a bunch of these. Anyone interested in joining me?? Ive been soloing a few right now, but Id rather that others come join for saftey reasons. The water is low, your going to pin (in 4inches of water), logs, slides, waterfalls, tourists taking pics, rain, snow, cold, but a new area with sweet sceenery, great sunsets, and an overall excellent area to yak. Let me know

Josh
720-289-8624

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I know most of Glacier Creek has been run, though neither of the big drops were. I also believe the Big topmson hasds been run from prettty high up. The Poudre, from as high as will float a boat has also been run. Those are the ones I know of. Which have you done? What are you eyeing up?
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #3
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
there isn't much that hasn't been at least looked at (implying that if it was looked at & not run, it wasn't worth hiking into & running.) .. just about everything that was run, for that matter, wasn't worth running.

dude -- lake creek, vallecito, big south, NF crystal, popo agie, treasure, brazos, etc. etc. etc. are all running .. why are you spending your time getting pinned on RMNP mank in 4 inches of water???
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005   #4

Glacier wouldn't be bad with some decent water. You still have to hike and it is a boat abusing, pin-fest somewhat. I think we did it in July from rains and natural flow from the snowfields on a mediocre year. One good gorge to drop near the bottom and a 25 footer up top that hasn't been run and a portage of Alberta Falls. There were some other quality drops making it a worthy hike-in run if you are up there and have no plans to go to Lake Creek, Popo Agie, or Vallecito.

BTW--doing the Big South is the best class V boating "in" the park.
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
this is probably a really dumb question because i probably know where this is, i just havent heard the name, but where is Popo Agie?
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #6

Popo Agie is a really cool steep creek just outside of Lander Wyoming. Todd - have you been to the Popo Agie recently? How much longer do you think it will go?? What other runs in the winds should I hit while I'm there?
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #7

Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Popo Agie is outside of Lander, Wyoming.
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #8
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
popo agie is basically sinks canyon state park. hike yer boat upstream & scout as you go. put in wherever you feel it. it's all good. there's one portage (river lft.) that looks like it would go at high water.

the winds have been getting pounded w/ snow, so it will have a long season. most of the eastern side of the winds is the wind river indian rez. paddling is illegal due to BIA regs, & they take this very seriously. the middle popo is south of the res & in a state park, making it totally legal. the further you go south, the more limestone-y & sieve-y the rock gets, to the point of unrunnability. north of the res, near dubois, is warm springs cr. it's OK. on the other side (pinedale) there's the new fork, which is really good, but it has a 10-mile hike in.
Old 06-15-2005   #9
DP/ Cinematographer

DP - cinematographer brookaitken.com, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
Trud dat boys. Rocky Mtn was fun but it could have used a little more h20. There may be a little more left to do the other side however....
Old 06-15-2005   #10
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
yeah, but we don't talk about that brook

& that waterfall on glacier lands on a pile of sharp rocks. i think you could stick it if you had jet propulsion though ...

Tags
ark